Looking for a New Lathe

Clay Target Guy

I have an older LeBlond now that is getting long in the tooth so I am thinking about buying another lathe.
Looking at the Grizzly Gunsmith lathe, Sharp, or if I can find a good clean used old lathe, that would be fine as well.
I am not a professional gunsmith, but have chambered and trued a few actions for myself.
I am/was a tool and die maker for a long time but I want a good solid lathe to pittle with at home.
Anyone have first hand knowledge on the Grizzly, or Sharp lathe, or know where there is a good clean older lathe?
I am looking for a 13x40, 14x40 size tool room lathe and not the bench type.

Thanks
John

I have an older LeBlond now that is getting long in the tooth so I am thinking about buying another lathe.
Looking at the Grizzly Gunsmith lathe, Sharp, or if I can find a good clean used old lathe, that would be fine as well.
I am not a professional gunsmith, but have chambered and trued a few actions for myself.
I am/was a tool and die maker for a long time but I want a good solid lathe to pittle with at home.
Anyone have first hand knowledge on the Grizzly, or Sharp lathe, or know where there is a good clean older lathe?
I am looking for a 13x40, 14x40 size tool room lathe and not the bench type.

Thanks
John
Speedy went with the Grizzly. I would to if I had a bigger shop.

I used a South Bend 12x36 , 1946 model, for years. and after much research, purchased Eisen 14x40 E series last year. very pleased with it.

I purchased South Bend thru Gov't surplus auction site from college physics lab,
every tool/accessory possible, and in extremely good shape, so there out there but hard to find.

Got one more to throw into the mix, local machine supply house is going out of business and has a JET GHB1340A new in the box for around $3300.

What say you about this with respect to the other options talked about?

Thanks
John

Clay Target Guy,

JET GHB1340A new in the box for around $3300. Does this include the stand? If not you need to find one of those to add into the price.

These are not production lathes obviously. But they will stand up to daily use as long as you don't try to get after some exotic steels.

Be aware that this lathe is limited to 8 speed choices only.

If it was me and it is right now, I'm looking at some used Monarch 10EE and Hardinge Precision Toolroom lathes. There are various other similar knock offs but no matter what, these are in the upper bracket for used machines. The ones I see the most are the 12x20 so you would have that as a limit also. But if you work through the headstock it won't matter.

I have a TL-1 right now so I'm not pushed to make a decision.

The Grizzly is a little better than the Jet but they are not professional machines no matter what the adverting writer says... Some of the better gunsmiths got paid to use these. If I had to choose between the Jet and the Grizzly I guess I would go with the Grizzly.

Enjoy the hunt!

That price does include the stand but from what I have read, Jets quality is kind of hit or miss.

That is a good price then compared to what I've seen in other ads.

Jet is usually O.K., not great but O.K. for someone who's not interested in the daily grind of producing a product. If handled properly it can be a decent enough lathe. I think there are better lathes to spend money on. I prefer to spend a little more and get a lot better.

I did like the Sharp with digital speed control. It ran smooth and was easy to run but they can be fairly pricey if buying new.

Enjoy the search!

found and bought a new Wilton L1440-3 lathe. Hope to bring it home Thursday.
Now I need a D1-4 4 jaw check, and a quick change tool post holder for it.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } I have a Logan Lathe (Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft) 10x24 inch Mod. 64TLC-2180
Mfg. Date 1941 Serial Number 2403
Made by Logan for Wards before they marketed it under their own name
43 inch bed with 24 inches between centers
Weighs 500#
Looking for a Quick Change gear box ... just in case any of you might have a connection. Nice lathe - holds .001 tolerances over sixteen inches but without the gear box I'm unable to cut threads. I know I could purchase individual gears and change them as necessary but that's unconscionably labor intensive.

found and bought a new Wilton L1440-3 lathe. Hope to bring it home Thursday.
Now I need a D1-4 4 jaw check, and a quick change tool post holder for it.

If you are a retired tool & die maker apply some of what you learned,,,,, buy a good back plate to fit the D1-4 spindle nose and "true" it to the machine before mounting a good 4 jaw chuck on it. If 'trued' correctly, the recess in the back of the chuck should be a 'snug' fit to the matching projection that you machined on to the back plate,,,,, self centering the chuck body to the spindle centerline. Witness mark the back plate to the spindle nose , so it goes on the same every time. Beats the daylights out of most direct mount chucks for "closer than" general machine work.

Thanks, I was going to take the easy way out and buy a direct mount, but if it is better to machine one, I am up for it. I did the two I have for my Lebond that I have now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.