Lathe for gunsmithing??

+1 on surplus auctions. I got my southbend 10" (has 1.5" hollow spindle) from a universtiy physics lab. included 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collet chuck, taper attachment,etc. and a 1 ton pickup load of tooling for $2000.00 This lathe was used to make one off tools and physics models., so, these great machines are out there if you look long and hard enough

+1 on surplus auctions. I got my southbend 10" (has 1.5" hollow spindle) from a universtiy physics lab. included 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collet chuck, taper attachment,etc. and a 1 ton pickup load of tooling for $2000.00 This lathe was used to make one off tools and physics models., so, these great machines are out there if you look long and hard enough

best one I ever saw was when some fellows I was pheasant hunting with in Iowa asked me about a lathe they bought from one of the universities out there. So after a couple days I told them I'd look at it. Inside this four car garage was a brand new Warner Swasey #5 turret lathe! It was originally Navy surplus, and still had the white sealant all over it (they had no idea what it was) The spindle wouldn't turn when they turned it on because the clutches were backed off all the way. We spent about four hours cleaning it up and making some adjustments, and it ran like a new machine. I asked them how much they paid for it, and the owner said $350!!!! The chuck was worth $120 and inch alone! Everything was brand new. So I asked them what they were going to do with it, and they said cut off PVC drain pipe for irrigation use!! That's when I sat them down and explained what they owned, and what it was worth on the open market. (minimum of $25K). The demand was so great for those small turret lathes that they started making them again. Gave them a couple phone numbers to call to see if they could sell it, and heard they got over $35K for it (a new one was close to $75K without a chuck). Not a bad REIT!
gary

Shop layout and design is critical no matter what you get. You can get some smokin' deals on equipment that's just too blamed heavy to move.
And THEN whatcha gonna do with it?
It's best to know and plan/design your facility the oncet. Wander thru a bunch of successful shops and ask them what they like or would change about it.
My living shop was just the way I liked it, but that woman partner of mine is right now tearing around cleaning the place to suit herself. If you've got a partner, it's easier to adjust your own expectations than to convince somebody else. We had a woman who, in a single day, moved everything in the place at least once, and when we returned long after dark she was tuckered out, the forklift needed fueling and everything was right back where it had started. Oh well.

Why are you responding to a 12 year old thread?

The answer is very simple:

In the 12 years since the original post, the supply chain for used equipment has changed significantly. Surplus prices have risen while the supply has fallen then risen again with the demand for equipment and the number of shops going out of business. Higher prices for equipment drives the demand down when folks decide not to invest in their dream of having their own shop to barrel their own rifles.

Technology has changed significantly also. Never before has the idea of buying into a CNC lathe been easier and more easily understood. There is now a used or surplus market for CNC mills and lathes which can be downright affordable. The tooling and other accoutrements will have more of an impact on the buyer.

So a continuation of the original responses helps keep up with the short history of the question.

:)

Have you checked with Grizzly Industrial. Some pretty good lathes for a reasonable price. Also, watch estate sales and auctions. I just bought a Shop Fox gunsmith lathe (worth around 5k$ new), new in the shipping box (but the box was damaged in shipping) for about $1100. Nothing wrong with the lathe or it parts. It may take a while to find the right deal but it will come eventually.