Which model in a .308

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I'd like some help in finding the best .308 rifle "this is for a friend of mine" and my research so far boiled it down to three models and would love as much input as possible comparisons etc.

Remington 700™ Classic
Tikka T3 Hunter
CZ 550 American

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd go with this years classic, but I am partial to Remmy. To me the model has a great feel of what a rifle should feel like before you put all the $$ into those sometimes un-needed mods. Plus this years classic I feel will be hard to come by, seems everyone (in my area) would love a nice bolt .308. Good luck in your purchase!

a hunting pal and i both have very accurate 25-06 rem 700 classics.thats my factory 500 yarder.

FYI I just recently bought a Tikka Varmint Stainless in .308 used for $500 U.S. shipped ($797 U.S. MSRP). The FFL dealer I had it shipped to let go of his only Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 for $300 more if I got the rings from him (The Optilock screws were rounded out -- ***!). The stock is light which makes it seem rather unbalanced in my opinion, but at about 8lbs it's not that heavy. Add in the scope and rings and it's right at 9lbs, not light but not heavy.
Don't know if this helps or not, but just thought I'd share.

Matt

I'm in the same situation. I know the Remmys are poular...but. the heavy barreleed ones come in 1 in 12" twist. I'm under the impression that the best weight for extended range is 168 & 175, which should be better stabiolized by a faster twist.
Win., Savage are 1 in 10" twist for .308

Ramses II

does it ever get "warm" enough to go out and shoot there?
i played that twist game for a while in .30-06 and settled for 1-11 in lilja bbl .30-06 AI to shoot 150-165's mainly.i was told either will work(1-10,1-12).but factory 700bdl 1-10tw shot 165-180 great but 150's not as good.so i tweaked a little..was twist to blame for 150's? idk......

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.