which gun in a 338wm

In that caliber I would go with the ruger CRF hawkeye. I have one and its a great shooter for an untuned factory rifle. But to deviate from the list a little I would build one on a trued remington 700 action,get a HS stock a jewel trigger and a shilen barrel. but thats just me I can do all the machine work myself so I'm only looking at componet cost. It's great to be retired and have your own shop to work in!gun)

I'd get the Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 338 Win Mag. I have one and it shoot like a house on fire. Clovers at a 100 and 3 at 600 yds.

I had a Ruger MarkII in .338wm I could shoot dimes at 100yds. with it all day. I am not saying they are all like that, I think I got lucky. My 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Hands down Ruger! ! Most dependable. I've had a bunch of them. They really like heavy bullets I'm not much of a shot but most of them would shoot 1" or better at 100 with factory and smaller with 275 or 300 grain handloads.

I have a Winchester 338 Mag Extreme Wheather. I had problems with ejected shells staying in loading port, mag box is to short for any seating depth adjustments and accuracy problems. The muzzle measured .590 which is very skinny and the bore is pitted. Had to mill ejection port larger, Wyatt's extended mag box and am rebarreling it. Definitely not what I expected and even without the new barrel, would almost be approaching custom rifle expense.

I should have bought the Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.