Which model Kestrel?

Just my $0.02, Yes the 2500 will get you what you need. However stepping up to the 4000 gains you the ability to use density altitude which results in less inputs required from certain ballistic programs (Shooter and Applied Ballistics). Then a step above that is the Kestrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics, or the G7 range finder. These can cut down on the amount of gear needed when in the field or at the range making those longer shots. :)
I currently use the Kestrel 4000 with my phone which works great, but I'm now saving for a 4500 with the Applied Ballistics built in to eliminate the use of my phone since the 4500 will have the drop data program in it.

Thank you for your replies. I have a little Nikon range finder but it definitely needs upgraded to something more reliable. Which ballistic programs are best? I've read a lot on here about people referring to their kestrels. I did a search and got bombarded with models that ranged from, definitely doable, to I better start saving my pennies. Seems like the 4500 series is the place to start looking.

For us regular folks, it makes more sense to download applied ballistics, shooter or strelok on a smart phone and then get the weather sensor that plugs into the phone for another $20. It is just as user friendly and it isn't too much of an investment that you can't upgrade later if you would rather have the Kestrel.

I'm definitely one of those regular folk. I'll check into that and maybe even see if the 13 year old son can teach me to use it.:)

For us regular folks, it makes more sense to download applied ballistics, shooter or strelok on a smart phone and then get the weather sensor that plugs into the phone for another $20. It is just as user friendly and it isn't too much of an investment that you can't upgrade later if you would rather have the Kestrel.

Not to hijack, but I have the same question as the OP and currently use applied ballistics. Could you tell me what weather station that plugs into a phone that you speak of? I have an iPhone and looking into a Kestrel but don't want to drop the coin for a bluetooth model.

Not to hijack, but I have the same question as the OP and currently use applied ballistics. Could you tell me what weather station that plugs into a phone that you speak of? I have an iPhone and looking into a Kestrel but don't want to drop the coin for a bluetooth model.

Search eBay for iPhone anemometer. They are all the name unit, but I just saw one for $10 with $10 shipping.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.