Kestrel help.

Limbic

I really like my new 4500. I'm a little foggy on the windspead, headwind, crosswind.

Windspead is obviously what it says but how does it differ from head wind. I guess that if you are holding the device at 180deg. I feel the majority of the wind is coming from 120 or 4oclock. Now even thought the device isn't pointed exactly at the wind will it still give me the windspead. Head wind is the wind that is coming directly from the target or direction the device is aimed. Cross wind is any wind that is perpendicular to the direction pointed.

Is this correct and is this how most of yall use the kestrel?

I use the Kestral 3500. Once my rifle is pointed at the target I place the windmeter on top of my scopes elevation knob. First I face it 180 degrees to get the cross wind. Then I turn it facing me and measure headwind/tailwind. I adjust my windage knob with the crosswind reading I get, and adjust my elevation based on my headwind/tailwind reading. I like to do it this way because you don't have to guess a windage value based on one windspeed. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.