Which model Kestrel?

HNDLDR

I'm just starting to figure all of this long range stuff out. Will the 2500 model Kestrel be a good model to provide all the information I need?

Love my 4500 with AB. Add a good rangefinder and your set. If money and size is not an issue buy an inexpensive wind meter and a g7.

I think it should be helpful. A ballistic program to input the values into, and you've got the basics.

Beats holding up a wet finger by a bunch.

I've a little experience on a friends 4500 with the Horus program. My 4500 with the Applied Ballistics just arrived, looking forward to using it.

The tech surrounding long range shooting changes constantly, but the basics are pretty constant. As has been mentioned a rangefinder is essential if you shoot where the ranges are unknown.

My kestrel seems to work fairly well. A friend and I both have one and we've compared them side by side and they both read pretty close to each other. As mentioned a ballistic program along with a range finder would be helpful. Would love to have the g7, but at this moment it is not in my budget. Merry Christmas and have fun.

Thank you for your replies. I have a little Nikon range finder but it definitely needs upgraded to something more reliable. Which ballistic programs are best? I've read a lot on here about people referring to their kestrels. I did a search and got bombarded with models that ranged from, definitely doable, to I better start saving my pennies. Seems like the 4500 series is the place to start looking.

I use the Shooter ballistic program. My son downloaded it onto a cell phone that I purchased just for this purpose. I'm not real savy when it comes to some of this electronic stuff. The program is easy enough to use and seems to work fairly well for me. I'm sure there are other programs out there that are just as good or maybe better, but one thing I'm also sure of is that all of them will work no better than the info the user puts into them.

Thank you for your replies. I have a little Nikon range finder but it definitely needs upgraded to something more reliable. Which ballistic programs are best? I've read a lot on here about people referring to their kestrels. I did a search and got bombarded with models that ranged from, definitely doable, to I better start saving my pennies. Seems like the 4500 series is the place to start looking.

I'm kind of new to the electronics myself. I have the Shooter App on my phone, I don't recall exactly maybe $5.
I've seen the Horus work very well
The Applied ballistic is what I bought. I'm hoping to link to other devices, and I think this is the direction they are moving. The Horus is a very good stand alone unit.
The G7 is linked at the top of the page, is free, and is certainly a good place to begin playing and forming an idea of what you want to accomplish.

I could have this wrong so feel free to correct me-anybody.

Every one's needs are different, and I'm just stumbling through myself.

I have several Nikons with the BDC rectical so I've messed with their Spot On stuff a bunch but so far that's the only ballistic program I've really messed with. Sounds like maybe I need better long range scopes as well. I have enough magnification with the Nikons but I don't know how they are for repeatable movements. I haven't read much about them on here so I'm drawing the conclusion that most gravitate to other products. Maybe I just haven't spent any time in the optics Forum.

The intended range you wish to achieve is important too. If you stop at 600-800 yards the lesser equipment is good enough. Beyond 800 yards you should buy the best. Nobody complains about the G7 BR2 and with the lower priced Kestral you are 1000yds+ for sure.

KB

The intended range you wish to achieve is important too. If you stop at 600-800 yards the lesser equipment is good enough. Beyond 800 yards you should buy the best. Nobody complains about the G7 BR2 and with the lower priced Kestral you are 1000yds+ for sure.

KB

Always a good point.

I'm primarily a hunter and honestly don't feel I have much business taking animals beyond 600 to 800. That's with more practice and under ideal conditions only. Anything further is just for fun at the moment. Someday I will eventually get bit by the 1000+ bug.

The 2500 model gives you all you need. I use the NV model 2500. I believe the next one up does humidity, but that doesn't affect ballistics much. Here on the Oregon coast it's always about 75%.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts