Which mid-range scope rings?

alnitak

So, I was looking at the Burris XTR, Signature Zee, Warne, Vortex Viper, TPS and other similar priced rings. I would like to stay under $100 for a set of rings, preferably under $75.

I am shooting a Savage 10 P-SR in .308 with a 30mm Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP scope. I have been reading this and other forums extensively for a week or so, and still can't decide. The Burris XTRs are mentioned often, though I am intrigued by the write up on the Vortex Viper rings (matched pair and kept together during the manufacturing process). I don't want to have to lap the rings and my scope base fits perfectly with no bedding required.

Based upon the scope ring calculator, it appears I need rings around 1" high. I like the simplicity of the Signature Zee, but they are among the highest (1.18" IIRC). The XTRs are nice, but some say the 6-screw rings limit placement on the rail/scope. I've read the ones like Vortex and Warne with the screws on top can be difficult to adjust. Since this is a short rifle and I will keep the stock in a traditional configuration (even when I replace the factory stock), I probably will go with aluminum rings to keep the weight down.

Given that, which of the mid-priced rings would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice.

The Signature Zee are very nice. With the plastic inserts they have there is no need for lapping. And they don't leave a ring mark. If weight is a primary concern Talley's are worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.