Close to Mid Range Scopes

jtmoose

I'm looking into a scope for my short barrel 308 timber rifle. This is my all purpose rifle. It is short and light for the mountain timber and brush and also a range target rifle. I do not like magnification above 2x for still hunting but I also want to go out to `800m at the range. What different variable ranges might fit the bill? I don't anticipate needing enough power in low light for a larger objective so I would like it to have a modest objective lens to mount it low and and a shorter overall length. So far I have found:

IOR 1-8x26
Nightforce 2.5-10x32
Vortex 2.5-10x32
Burris 1.5-8x28
Leupold 2.5-8x36
Weaver 1-7x24

I don't see much need to spend over $1,000 keeping it under 10x power. Some of the ones listed above have different features adjusting the price within such as FFP, illuminated. Neither required but are both nice to haves in my book.

I feel like I have looked through so many but am probably missing a great option or two.

I believe March has a 1-10 power, along with having their 2.5-25 power

Bushnell elite 2.5-16 power

leupold vx6 2-12 power

the march will be north of your $1k, but if it'll really get used, may just pay off big to give them a hard look.

I think Sightron has a 2.5-17x56

Personally, close range timber rifle and 800m range rifle are two very separate ends of a spectrum and don't go together unless your 800m target is a car.

I love having true 1 power for close range, it's unreal, both eyes open, daylight bright illumination, insanely quick. Downside is really being limited to 10x at best up top, which for me, isn't 800m kind of magnification.

Now if it doesn't have true 1 power on the low end, might as well go with a better top end because 1.5 or 2.5, you're still looking through the tube and limiting your FOV.

March 2.5-25x52 would probably meet every ounce of everything you ever wanted, but spendy. Vx6 2-12 is probably the most realistic choice.

Sightron has a big objective, but that's something I love, Bushnell is probably a bit heavy.

I'd rather see you wound the 800m target than the deer in the woods though, so get a 1 - ? with true 1 power, get day bright illumination, pay what you can to get as much up top for power and as much in glass quality as possible.

I have a similar setup (but with a 3x requirement for the low end).

I would look hard at the Vortex Razor HD LH in the 2-10x40 @ 15 ounces. I have the 3-15x42 version and really like it. The glass is phenomenal. MSRP about a grand I think. Not sure what they go for on the street. I have and really like the HSR-4 reticle (I prefer a true MOA over a BDC style reticle). They also offer a BDC reticle. Worth a look. I personally prefer the vortex LH glass to swaro's in the same mag/weight range.

I'm looking for something more compact than a 50mm objective. I don't want to go over 32mm so I can mount it very low to get a more consistent cheek weld.

I'm looking for something more compact than a 50mm objective. I don't want to go over 32mm so I can mount it very low to get a more consistent cheek weld.

I hear what you are saying, however remember the low rings are going to house anything to about 40-44mm objective depending on barrel and caps and some other things. I use lows on all my hunting scopes. So, the height for a good cheek weld isn't to change with your scope obj, but your ring/base size (obviously as you bump up 44-50 and 50+ mm you also bump to medium and high rings). So as long as the scope you are looking at will still work with low rings, you'll be good to go. This may broaden your search rather than just 32mm and under you may have not looked at. Most 1" with ~44 and below obj will work with low rings and is going to have the same cheekweld. Just a thought.

To follow up, I went with a Sig Whiskey 5 2-10x42. I like it a lot and got a good deal. I went with an illuminated reticle after having an incident with an identifiable target, legal hours, but too dark in the timber to see the reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.