Which is the best reloader?

flacracker

Not knowing a lot about reloading I am going to you guys for your suggestions. Hope I get the right answer to which reloader system is the best. Will be Loading 6.5LR and .45ACP.

ask a million people and get totaly confused with the differant answers you will get.
For starting you should get a kit consisting of a single stage press, scale, powder throw, dies,lube pad, lube, primer tool and a load data book. This is the minimum, all of the companys offer these kits.
You will also want a differant load manual book read both and confirm your load, at least 1 loading block, a trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner and calipers. A case cleaner is nice but not a must.
After a while (2 or 3 years) you may want to get a progressive setup for pistol by then you will know what brand and type you need.

You will be the reloader. If you mean what press, they all work very well. The differences make some more suitable for specific needs but that's a personal thing. So, as said above, there is no "best"; if that were true it would have put all others out of business decades ago. I can assure you that the most expensive tools won't automatically load any better ammo than less expensive tools so price does not equate to much but cost. The reloader's own skill will be the major limiting factor in his work for a very long time.

You tell us what cartridges but you don't say what volumes you may wish to produce in a normal session or if you'll be loading for normal hunting/practice or serious targrt competition, how much you may be able to spend, and how much room you may have to set up in. All of that matters when suggesting which tools might be best for you. Otherwise we can only tell you what "I like" or "what I use" and our needs and likes are probably much different from yours. ??

What gets miscalled a "dump" or "drop" won't be found in a reloading catalog, what is needed is a powder measure.

The FIRST thing you need to get is a good reloading manual that includes well written and illustrated beginner instructions. Some of the best are Lyman, Sierra, Hornady and Lee. From that, you will be able to compile a list of the tools you'll need.

x 2 to all the above. For 30 yrs. I used a single stage for everything, didn't get a progressive until someone gave me an old Dillon 550 to play with. Start slow, read everything. It's like good carpentry, measure 2 or 3 times, cut once.

just my two cents...

rick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.