Progressive Press which one is the best?

texasdave

I am looking to buy a progressive press to load handgun ammo. I would like to hear what everyone recomends. I had looked at the Dillion RL 550B and RCBS has the pro 2000. But there might be better seeing as my knowledge is limited. I appreciate all replys and thanks in advance for taking the time to share your experience.
Dave

You cant go wrong with a Dillion 550B. I've had one for a year or so now and love it. Dillion customer service and no BS warranty is the best.

I have had the hornady for fifteen years or so and my only complaint is hornady has
sucked on their warranty. I had some issues with the primer feed and ended up paying
for a whole new one to straighten it out. (about 75.00 shipped years ago) I again just
had to pay for some die parts that should have been warrantied. Having said that the
Dillon is much better ... but the cost is about triple or more. That is a direct comparision
between me and a friend and how much we each have invested over the years in just
the presses and shell plates , die bushings..
But his dillon has a bullet feed and a shell hopper. He can load about 3 times as fast.
Dillons reputation for their service is unblemished. If you have the money, go blue.

The 550 and Hornady's LnL are both good units. I have a 550 my dad has a LnL. IMO, the LnL is more like the 650 model than the 550 but at the cost of the 550. The LnL auto indexes to the next stage where as the 550 does not. IMO, the powder measure is better on the LnL too.

The 550 is an excellent piece and it has proven itself for many, many years that's for sure but for the money the LnL is more bang for your buck.

Now, in saying that, if you're already thinking Dillon, you should go with a Dillon and vice versa if you are thinking Hornady. I say that because it seems like guys who are leaning one way then buy the other, they are never happy with what they bought.

You can't go wrong with either, I just think the LnL offers more features than a 550 for the same or less money.

I have used Hornady progressive presses for over 20 years. I keep hearing how great the Dillon presses are and from time to time will find a deal on one and buy it. I then realize it is just more hype than Hornady uses and sell the press, have done that with a SDB and a 650 each time keeping and apreciating more my Hornady. Especially if you load many calibers. The dillon is a good machine but cost more for caliber changes, has more parts and can be a bit more difficult to set up.
I currently have a dillon 550b for sale if you choose to go that route. Keep in mind the 550b is not a truely progressive press as it does not auto index.
Shoot me a pm if the 550b fits your needs

Hi There,

I've been a Hornady Progressive press user for many years (over 20) - initially the 1st model 'Hornady Projector progressive' and only recently in the past couple of years upgraded to the Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive. Which after using the first version is a huge upgrade in usability and speed of reloading.

Now, be aware I'm a Hornady loyalist and like the colour red:D

But, I have very minimal breakdowns: A couple of small issues with the primer feed mechanism on the first version and no issues on the Lock-n-Load at all. It just plain works and works well, is accurate, I can change out dies in a few seconds, shell plate in about a minute and if your purchase the extra powder thrower adapter you can also change that out in about two minutes. This is much easier than 're-adjusting' the thrower for different pistol callibres (read brass heights). I like the 'feel' you get when priming on the down stroke and looking to purchase the auto case feeder attachment very soon, not that I really need it but why not - makes it all just that much easier.

I have good friends that reload on Dillans and they are just as biased as me for my equipment - you would never get them to purchase another press! I personally don't see what all the fuss is for the big blue and I believe there is plenty of bang-for-buck with the big red.

Cheers.

Forgot to mention that the Hornady powder measure is better than the dillon.
My friends that have Dillon machines reload one or two calibers. Many dillon owners buy a second machine rather than change calibers and primer feeds

I have the Hornady LNL press with the brass feeder . I like it it works very good . I've had no trouble with it . Hornady has just came out with a bullet feeder attachment for this press too ,but I think it's for jacketed bullets only .

I grew up with RCBS. I went LEE, and love the simple, and it's effective.

I got the RL550B for .223, it's fast, Dillon backs it up, get parts in three days at no extra cost. It is complicated to run, it taxes my attention to run it and keep up with four stages. I wish I'd invested in a bigger Dillon and incorporate the case trimmer. My Powder measure throws +/- 0.1 gr with Ramshot MT Brand ball/spherical powder. It's plenty for mass production. Recently added the .45acp conversion. It isn't too bad to swap over. Gives you a good time to work on maintenance, clean and lube the ram, etc.

I still load my precision stuff by hand, on the single stage.

Guy's I really appreciate all your input. I want to mull it all over but from reading here it looks like the Hornady is the one to go with. Dillion is close at second. I am supprised no one liked the Rcbs Pro 2000. Hmmm
Thanks so Much

I keep the ends off each 1000 box of primers I finish on my 550B. Currently the stack is 40 or so tall and I have never replaced a part or done more than regular cleanup/maintenance. I load 5 different calibers and though a complete quick changeover kit is expensive, once you have gone that route you will find it well worth it.

I have run 550Bs, 650s, and the Hornady LnL,I like some things about all of them and none is perfect.

The 550B gets the nod for simplicity of use and I believe long long term reliability, also for price/value. I also think it is easiest to use when doing load development and only loading a few cases each at different specs. I have and like my case feeder as well. I can comfortably load 600 or so an hour and when I was shooting USPSA/IDPA I would sit at this press for hours on end in the winter time filling buckets with loaded ammo for the coming season.

The 650 is faster but don't even consider one without a case feeder, its just pointless. More complicated but runs like a top so does it matter to you? The priming system on the 650 is superior to the 550B in my opinion.

The LnL is well built, I just think warranty is worth something and Dillon's can not be beat. The priming system on the LnL is better than the 550B and just different than the 650. Ergonomics of a LnL without a case feeder are the worst of all three, bad enough that I would not own one without the case feeder.

For Dillon products it is tough to beat Brian Enos's website. Package deals and good advice available there. Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading

The 1050 is awesome, caliber changes suck though. If money is no object then get a 1050 in each caliber you want to load for:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.