Which is the best all round of these 3

benny1

I'm wondering which muzzle break out of the assassin, terminator and the painkiller are the over all best break in the .338 to .375. I would only like info on these calibers. Before anyone says it yes I've searched the forums but there is so much different info out there hard to find info and then believe what people have to say. So if you have any info thanks

If your looking for maximum recoil reduction then you have to go with the brake with the most aggressive port angle, the largest in diameter (or tallest port), and the most ports. That would be the Terminator or the Pain Killer. If you look at the pictures of the Assassin the port angle isn't very aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEcALGfg5g

I'm wondering which muzzle break out of the assassin, terminator and the painkiller are the over all best break in the .338 to .375. I would only like info on these calibers. Before anyone says it yes I've searched the forums but there is so much different info out there hard to find info and then believe what people have to say. So if you have any info thanks

For Made in Montana the PK is the best! :D

Seriously, they are all good MBs. I don't have any hands experience with them but many are very satisfied with their performance.

I would however go with JEC's Assassin #4 slabbed MB ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/OpCgRQRWJYc?t=27[/ame]

Not on your list but I am very satisfied with Benchmark's tactical MB (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) in my .300 WSM.

I have the mini version of the one in this video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA[/ame]

...............Seriously, they are all good MBs. I don't have any hands experience with them but many are very satisfied with their performance.

I would however go with JEC's Assassin #4 slabbed MB ...

A couple others not named to add to the confusion. I have a Defensive Edge I really like (local as well) I may try Cold Boar next. gun):D Encourage a young man that kind of grew up here, and appears to be building on what he's learned.

JE however has done the most of any one I know of to bring objectivity to the subject of muzzle breaks. If you do nothing else watch the video's

I have 7 of Kirby's PK's. They are on anything from 6.5 Ultracat to the 338 Lapua Improved. I could not be any happier!!! They manage recoil very well and control muzzle jump even better so you can see bullet impacts. I would not hesitate to put one on anything.

Thanks for the info guys. I've pretty tempted to try the painkiller but Kirby is so hard to get ahold of I emailed him over a week ago hard just to sit and wait for him I'm going to watch these videos and make a decision thanks again

Did you check out PrecisionRifleBlog.com ? He just did a great write up on brakes that I found very informative.

From lots of tests with a recoil slide, I can tell you positively if the ports don't angle rearward the brake is not as good as it could be for reducing recoil.

I made one with threads on both ends for a novel test. What the tests proved beyond argument is even with the ports forward facing they are way better than no brake.

I took the Savage with a Midway fluted 24" barrel chambered in .257 Weatherby. With no scope it weighs 6 lbs 5.5 oz. The load was Barnes TTSX 80 grain bullets pushed by 73.0 grains of IMR7828. The primer was a Federal 215 Magnum. The temperature was about 45 degrees. I fired three shots of each test. Instead of resetting the rifle back to the start after each shot I fired each subsequent shot where it stopped to get a total distance for the three shots fired.

I used a brake with four .800" slots .100" apart that were cut with a 5/16" endmill angled 20 degrees .

With no brake the total travel in the free recoil slide was 39 5/16".

With the slots facing forward the total for the three shots was 11 1/2".

With the slots facing rearward the rifle moved a total of 4 9/16".

Conclusion: And rearward facing slots are way better than forward facing slots.

And the steeper the rearward angle the better it works at the cost of additional concussion. Muzzle brakes aren't rocket science. The taller the port the more surface area the gas has to push on before leaving the side of the brake. The steeper the angle the more it counter acts the rearward motion of the rifle from recoil.

The PRS article comes to the same basic conclusion but you can make it for yourself as well. The two best brakes had ports angled back 30 degrees or more and were larger in diameter (ie taller ports). The rest were under 20 degrees.

I have a small pain killer brake on my 300AX which launches 200gr at 3340 recoil is slightly more than my youth model 243 and 80gr. From what I've seen by kiwi greg's videos, the best brake I would say is the terminator brake and the PK a close second.

I have a small pain killer brake on my 300AX which launches 200gr at 3340 recoil is slightly more than my youth model 243 and 80gr. From what I've seen by kiwi greg's videos, the best brake I would say is the terminator brake and the PK a close second.

I can seethe hits with a Terminator 3 on an eight pound rifle that fires 140 at 3,450 feet per second with ninety-one grains of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.