Which is the best 6mm LR bullet

I like the 6-250 or 6mm international too. Before the 6x47 Lapua came out, I was planning on doing a 6mm international improved shooting 115 Dtac's but after seeing how well a 6.5x47 Lapua did this weekend at 1k, I think I'll wind up with one of those instead!

[ QUOTE ]
seeing how well a 6.5x47 Lapua did this weekend at 1k

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a couple of guys shooting variations of that in MO. Some 6.5s and some 6mms. Some of them did very well!!

If you only get to go two or three times a year and have to deal with whatever climatological conditions prevail. And if you let your barrel cool, I think you will be happy with the 6-284 and the heavy high BC bullets. You might email Richard Graves and see what is in the oven cooking on 243 bullets.

Thin jackets and aluminum tips might work for you. People are saying that he is putting the aluminum tips on heavy jackets which would be good for hoofed animals but perhaps not too great on a little critter.

Just how fast is the 6-284 with a 105/107?

I know the 6x47 with a 105 is 3150 and not topped out.

If you are looking for blazing speed and make a squirrel do flips then the 87 Vmax or the 95 gr berger with 9 or 10 twist. I would think that an extra 100 fps would not be worth a greatly reduced barrel life.

I think you are back in the realm of Richards 6mm Rem AI where this all started. that might be the best answer in reality.

BH

I have tried the 115 DTAC in my 6x47 Lapua and they all go in one hole at 2980 fps with a 1 in 8 twist under 2" at 500 whats not to like?

I had a 6mm-284 30" 5R bartlein 1 in 7.5. Originally intended to shoot 115 DTACs. My two 1000 yd Benchrest competitors also made rifles with that barrel in other chamberings, the 6SLR and the 6mm BRUX. None of us were able to get the accuracy we wanted so we switched to 105 Berger hybrid target and got excellent results.

As for velocity with a 30" fast twist barrel:
tried quite a few powders:
RL-22
H-1000
H4831
Retumbo
RL-33

Retumbo was the best and fastest before RL-33 showed up. RL-33 soundly beat the fastest load using Retumbo.

Got 3485 fps with 105 Berger and RL-33. Warning....this load was near the end of the barrel's life. Rifling was quite eroded which I believe lessened pressure. There is no load data for RL-33 and this chambering. I used near max load data for Retumbo as my starting point. I also had to use a drop tube.

The barrel has been retired with right around 1000 rounds through it. I got the need for speed out of my system with an expensive barrel, just as another poster said. The replacement barrel is a 30" 1 in 8 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6 BR also shooting the 105 hybrid target bullets.

I still have a 6mm-284 but it is built in a sporter using rechambered 24" Rem 243 barrel. I do the work myself so if the barrel gets burned out I stick another one on. Cheap entertainment. I have two loads. 55 gr nosler bt @ 4175 fps with varget and the 95 gr berger classic hunter @ 3495 using RL-17.

I also have a 284 win. Use the 284 Redding comp seater for both cartridges!

Wildcat, have fun with your new toy and blow up a few PD for us!

[ QUOTE ]
The 115 and 117 DTAC sound really awesome, I might have to look at those too! Does Wildcat make the DTAC bullets, also how much do they cost and what twist rate do they require. Would a 1-9 twist work for the 115 and 117 bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sierra makes them for David tubb.The 115 would be marginal with a 1-9 the 117 even more so.

d-a

I bought 500 115 DTACs from Tubb for my new Brux 6mmBR 1-8 twist barrel. Shot just five with
Varget, and they did not group. Went back to my favorite Berger 105 gr Tgt. bullet, good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.