Which Hunting Knife

My go to. I just like the shape of the blade. It's a copy of an old marbles that ive used for over 30 yrs but with better steel similar to m390. Skinned and boned 2 sheep and two deer and it still shaves.
image.jpg

@dfanonymous have you found a knife you like from a dozen pages of replies in just a few days?

Hot topic

Yeah, I ended up getting what I originally was thinking of getting, the Benchmade Altitude. Local bass pro still had one, I guess it's been discontinued. Normally I have a deal when going directly through Benchmade.

Actually, this thread solidified that decision. A few guys seem to know their stuff on here. I left the OP pretty open, and didn't fight anyones opinion, but I'm neither new at packing out animals and maintain a moderate understanding of metallurgy.

That said, I dun really wanted something in the s35 at a minimum and ideally s90v. They last a long time, but as others mentioned, it's harder to get that edge back. With how I process meat in the field I don't anticipate that being too problematic, and was given some good suggestions how to maintain a good edge with that particular metal.

Which is why going through a custom knife maker was an issue. Didn't seem like too many guys want to work with the likes of s90v for obvious reasons. However, so many came highly recommended, I'm still giving consideration to for maybe more general use type knife in the future.

That leaves the ergonomics. I know people said they didn't like it, but I tend to do most of my cutting choked up while making precise and deliberate cuts. Accidents aside, there's no need to be cutting bone or anything using the gutless method, and I don't usually man handle the knife grip, but rather use my fingers. The 3 inch blade is long enough to work with, but small enough to get those precise and controlled cuts. Thin enough that it packs well for a fixed blade. I guess I'll know for sure this year one way or another.

I was using The Havalon Piranta, it would build stuff up in it, the blades would pop off, they didn't last very long, trying to mess around with it in the dark was annoying. I've had the screws come undone, etc. Of course, it was like $25 and I've had it for 4 season, and with 7 pack outs that I can remember, I'm not complaining. Just time to upgrade.

Last edited:
Yeah, I ended up getting what I originally was thinking of getting, the Benchmade Altitude. Local bass pro still had one, I guess it's been discontinued. Normally I have a deal when going directly through Benchmade.

Actually, this thread solidified that decision. A few guys seem to know their stuff on here. I left the OP pretty open, and didn't fight anyones opinion, but I'm neither new at packing out animals and maintain a moderate understanding of metallurgy.

That said, I dun really wanted something in the s35 at a minimum and ideally s90v. They last a long time, but as others mentioned, it's harder to get that edge back. With how I process meat in the field I don't anticipate that being too problematic, and was given some good suggestions how to maintain a good edge with that particular metal.

Which is why going through a custom knife maker was an issue. Didn't seem like too many guys want to work with the likes of s90v for obvious reasons. However, so many came highly recommended, I'm still giving consideration to for maybe more general use type knife in the future.

That leaves the ergonomics. I know people said they didn't like it, but I tend to do most of my cutting choked up while making precise and deliberate cuts. Accidents aside, there's no need to be cutting bone or anything using the gutless method, and I don't usually man handle the knife grip, but rather use my fingers. The 3 inch blade is long enough to work with, but small enough to get those precise and controlled cuts. Thin enough that it packs well for a fixed blade. I guess I'll know for sure this year one way or another.

I was using The Havalon Piranta, it would build stuff up in it, the blades would pop off, they didn't last very long, trying to mess around with it in the dark was annoying. I've had the screws come undone, etc. Of course, it was like $25 and I've had it for 4 season, and with 7 pack outs that I can remember, I'm not complaining. Just time to upgrade.
I think you'll like it. Even with the gutless method you'll still end up getting on some bone, ribs, blackstrap, rear quarters. There's enough bone to hit that I'd still carry something to touch it up if you need to. I know I used mine on 2-3 animals and then was having a hard time with a javelina later in the year. I bought the worksharp field sharpener and it does a great job. Like I said earlier I really like my Altitude and I think you will too, when you keep it sharp it makes quick and easy work.

If you decide you like the knife, consider having someone thin out the edge for you. This is a great way to increase cutting performance AND sharpenability.

Some bladesmiths offer regrinding (aka reprofiling) services.

I have reprofiled a number of knives for myself and others - it's a great way to bring some new life back to a blade that has been sharpened a lot, but can also boost a factory knife to near-custom levels of performance

Kind of like rebarreling a factory rifle!

cub bear convex.jpg

Knives of Alaska Cub Bear. I tried a convex zero-grind on it for a while, but I find better control with a little micro-bevel on there.

Last edited:

Give us a report back on your perception and experience on the Altitude after you've used it some. Sounds like we're pretty similar in use of knives. Curious how long that holds an edge. I think I spoiled by sharp knives. I keep them sharp as I go, once I feel the slightest dulling, out comes the steel. I don't manhandle a knife either as I'm usually focusing hard on NOT puncturing that gut sack lol, and trying to keep the edge off the bones as much as possible.

When I hear people say they've done 6 deer (or even multiple) I have to wonder how much it's actually dulled? Maybe what they're doing right and I'm doing wrong haha? Maybe I just feel it more with a small knife and finessing it.

I use the gutless method too as I'm almost always miles back and don't have the luxury of getting a vehicle to it. Everything gets quartered and usually boned out (least amount of weight to pack out) to get in 1 trip. Elk are a different story unfortunately lol.

Good luck to you this year. Can't believe this went 12 pages. A lot of good info for sure.

Probably a dang good choice. They are still somewhat what available online it seems, but kinda spendy. I like the Altitude's profile, as it's about the same size and a bit straighter form than the Case Ridgeback Hunter I mentioned. Heck, I might buy one if I can actually get my hands on one locally. The Ridgeback Hunter is about dead after a critter so I run two.

I know of an altitude for sale at a local knife store, if someone want it I can tell them the store and the company will ship it. They don't have a website but I could get their #. They are who I buy all my knives through.

Regarding the Havalon, I am extremely careful with it in the field and prefer to not use it unless I'm working on game at home. I have moved over to the 3.5" Outdoor Edge knife, the blades are a heck of a lot tougher, and mucho easier to change out! IMO, a much better mouse trap!

Regarding the Havalon, I am extremely careful with it in the field and prefer to not use it unless I'm working on game at home. I have moved over to the 3.5" Outdoor Edge knife, the blades are a heck of a lot tougher, and mucho easier to change out! IMO, a much better mouse trap!
I also use the outdoor edge and I really like it.