Which Hunting Knife

dfanonymous

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.

I carry a Cold Steel Master Hunter fixed Blade and man it sure keeps an edge.
I helped an elderly gentleman(more elderly than me)with a Muley Buck 3 years ago and it made short work of gutting.
I took a muley,gutted it and got it home and skinned it and let the deer hang for a few days.During tht time my neighbor borrowed my knife and cleaned his and that knife could still shave!

I like the canyon hunter and mountain skinner models from Benchmade. The canyon hunter has a shorter blade and get used a lot. I bring both as well as the replaceable blade type.

Attachments

• A2E8CC9A-CC34-4F20-AB06-FF7271D9CB39.png
    A2E8CC9A-CC34-4F20-AB06-FF7271D9CB39.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 1DB5E63D-B751-4FC7-8807-5903AFC04497.png
    1DB5E63D-B751-4FC7-8807-5903AFC04497.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 577
I have went though many knives in my hunting pack, but I notice that my basic Buck 110 folder is always around and in use so it must be my favorite......we do gutless method and it does fine even with the relatively short blade compared to a fixed blade. Easy to sharpen, but holds a edge long enough for me!

Agreed, don't rule out a good folder.

The Benchmade Altitude is a fast looking knife. I do see the appeal, but personally I like having more of a handle, and generally prefer non metallic handles for those cold days.

That S90V steel is crazy stuff, I have a Spyderco Southfork made out of the same alloy. Keeps a working edge for a long time, but is a bear to sharpen. Specialized abrasives are required - silicone carbide at a minimum, or diamonds... Seriously... Aluminum oxide (typical sandpaper) barely touches the stuff. Some Japanese Waterstones will work, but that is a whole other conversation.

A lot of production knives tend to be a little thick behind the edge for my taste. Some makers like Victorinox get the geometry right, but run the heat treat a little soft for durability and sharpenability reasons. A hair splitting edge can be maintained on a softer knife (57-58HRC) for weeks through regular use of a butchers steel. ...but a butchers steel isn't really practical in a backpack (I know this because I have tried it 🤦‍♂️)

Like a couple of other have suggested; find yourself a custom knife maker who understands blade geometry and heat treat.

If I had the budget for the best, I would be tempted to call up Phil Wilson of SeaMount Knifeworks.

Realistically, my next fixed blade will probably be a Semi Skinner by Dan Crotts;

Dunn knives I can recommend as well. Kind of odd looking, but very functional blade geometry.

These days, I'm carrying a boning knife Clint Chisan made for me;

chisan.jpg

6", AEBL, 61HRC. Under 4oz w/ sheath

I always have a folder in my pocket though and it must be adequate because sometimes the fixed blade never leaves my pack!

Last edited:
For shear weight alone, a Havalon is hard to beat. Problem is they're either too sharp, too dull, or the blades snap too easy. I carried a Havalon in my kill pack for archery last year and this year. Probably stick to my small fixed blades.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Altitude. Seemed cool but sounds like a lot are not impressed.

For me when I carry fixed blades, I always carry a good steel with me. I like to have 2 or three blades with me to keep them sharp as I go, or if you have multiple people helping on an animal.

I've become a fan of small knives (1-1/2"-3" blades), It's amazing how much you can do with a tiny knife. The two I usually reach for to throw in my pack are Bark River knives. I have 4 Bark River knives and are simply awesome.

1 is a Canadian Micro W/ black scales. Scary sharp and a hollow ground blade.

I don't recall the other but when I find I'll post it. It is a small traditional style point with about a 2-1/2" blade.

The Bark River Ringtail looks like a sweet little minimalist style I'll probably pick up too.

Last edited: