Which Hunting Knife

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
I hunt the same way and finally settled back on a fixed blade knife. However, Elk, moose etc have tough hides that dull a knife quickly so I carry a shortened butcher steel in my pack to keep my edge honed sharpe.

I hunt the same way and finally settled back on a fixed blade knife. However, Elk, moose etc have tough hides that dull a knife quickly so I carry a shortened butcher steel in my pack to keep my edge honed sharpe.

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
Try a Fällkniven. You will not be disappointed.

As others have said stick with American steel and American made, with that being said Dave McCroskey from McCroskey custom knives makes one heck of a knife that will last you a lifetime. I have one from him and one from Double H knives out of Georgia.

Toor knives. Skinner blade

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 80
I was literally typing that I use the Argali knife. I have the argali serac which is a thicker bellies version of the hunter. Weighs under 2 ounces with great steal. Stays sharp and has been great for me. They have a new black/carbon fiber version that I ordered yesterday to add to my first!

Attachments

• B6E0A36E-AA96-46E0-80AD-E896DD3D7229.png
    B6E0A36E-AA96-46E0-80AD-E896DD3D7229.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 153
I was literally typing that I use the Argali knife. I have the argali serac which is a thicker bellies version of the hunter. Weighs under 2 ounces with great steal. Stays sharp and has been great for me. They have a new black/carbon fiber version that I ordered yesterday to add to my first!
wow….typing fast with kids talking to me. How about bellied and steel

If you want to spend the extra money, I would recommend a blade of D2, S30V, or 154CM. S30v is my favorite. They will all skin several deer without needing to be resharpened. Also, nice to have a small bone saw, for the pelvic area and rib cage.

Iron Will K1 knife, your a backpack hunter so weight matters. There knives are second to none. I did my bull elk last year with it and one of the neat things I really loved about it was that the top tip of the blade is sharpened for about 11/4" which is like having a second knife in one. I also do the gutless method and with this knife perform perfectly. Their fixed Broadhead's are totall awesome as well.. you will love the knife
1657376240931.jpeg

Last edited:
As has been mentioned here Bark River Knives are the bomb. Any one of them is great but my personal choice is the ramped Gunny. Comfortable handle, compact, tough as nails and can be made and kept scary sharp. They don't just give them away now….but guaranteed for life and you get what you pay for. Also available in many, many handle materials.