New Hunting Knife

New to me; Bark River Gunny (hunter?) In A2

View attachment 137035

Love the tool steels!

@Litehiker where's the pic? Your post reminds me that I really want to try a Roselli. I think they're made in Finland, but Helle, Roselli? (I'm a dork)

Bark River makes some really nice knives. I have one and it's my favorite knife.

I don't know much about the Helle knives.

KME makes the best sharpening system I've found for the money and as far as hunting knives, hard to beat a Master Skinner by Bob Dozier or one of the Diamondblades.

I love carbon steel, it's a little more maintenance, but love the patina.
I'm a big fan of 1084 and 15n20. Here's a couple I've been messing around with in lately. They aren't a Helle by any means, but they cost me about 4 bucks to make and they're tougher than nails!!!
View attachment 137064 View attachment 137065
Nice work! Forged in Fire is becoming my favorite tv show, which is not good. I liked the quick tutorial on sharpening too, I have the wicked edge, and you nailed it on grind angles. I look back at those sharpening sticks, set at one angle, after using them, I most likely threw the knife in the trash can.
I also owned a Tormek when I turned wood, bought the knife attachments, another lesson in futility. The blade rotated away from the work, all you did was chase burrs. Burrs were fine on turning tools, not knives.

010.JPG
011.JPG
If you want to take the time and have the patience to learn Japanese Water Stones
are the best. I finish on a 1200 grit and they are scary sharp.Like a surgical instrument!
They are expensive..I'll post a picture of some of my Tantos tonight.
OK here's a couple.. slightly different grinds G-10 with white spacers
M-4 steel some of the nastiest belt eating stuff I have ever ground..BUT it wears better than almost anything!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.