Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

• Bolt Action Only

Votes: 975 40.1%
  • AR-15 Only

Votes: 81 3.3%
  • Shotgun Only

Votes: 9 0.4%
  • Bolt and Shotgun

Votes: 416 17.1%
  • AR-15 and Shotgun

Votes: 95 3.9%
  • Both AR-15 and Bolt

Votes: 857 35.2%

• Total voters
204 ruger that i got when ruger first introduced the round, replaced the bbl with a 26 inch Krieger cause it wouldn't shoot better then 1 1/2 inches. Shoot 32 grain factory Hornaday

243 AI on rem 700 VS shoot 105g berger VLD's and 55g NOS B tips

Bushmaster Varminter "most accurate fire arm I own" this thing is bone stock and will shoot 5 shot groups that average .33 inches out side of hole to out side of hole and thats before you subtract the .224 bullet diameter. "sometimes a person gets lucky" 36g barns @ barely under 4k fps

.338 RUM, for really big coyotes. If I miss, it still scares them to death. :D

There were not enough choices to fit my needs and desires? The AR-15 is not the only semi-auto platform, you forgot the M-14NM, SR-25, M-107 and for close range, the Remington 1187- Master Blaster 12 gage.
But when those predators are trying to gang up on you, the Ma Duce works petty good at close to medium ranges. But for longer ranges and those extremely hard to get to varmints, nothing beats the G-5/52 and M-198 155 MM howitzers!
Bigger guns are more fun to shoot.

I selected AR and bolt gun but I've also used my 10ga. as well as my Encore. 22-250 (Encore), 243 (boltgun), 6mm-06AI (Encore) and 6.5 Grendel (AR platform) I'm at the point in my life where I have a lot of guns and not near enough time to shoot them. Ten years till retirement! :rolleyes:

Which guns or combinations of guns do you use for predator hunting?

What ever I happen to have in my hand at the time. But mostley the AR15, Savage 112 in .308 or the Mini 14 if I'm in the swamp and yes my Mini 14 is a shooter. 1.5 MOA at a 100 yds-perfect for the swamp where my longest shot is no more than 50 yds.

12 gauge,
22LR
and the newest member of the family,

Remington 700 243. win. Currently working up loads. Shooting factory 80 grain soft point while trying to work up the 75 grain and 87 grain vmax

Mostly my custom 243 w/thumbhole stock and 20" bull barrel with 75gr V-max

If I think bobcat or fox are likely I use my 22 mag for close sets or my 223 with the cheap ultramax 50gr ammo. It only gets a MV of 2700 in my 20" barrel and is easier on pelts than a hot load. It still does the job well out to 200yds, and I have the clicks memorized to set it back to my normal load.

In tight quarters (cedar draws on windy days) I use my 870 turkey gun with 8 shot extension and Dead coyote choke & shells. If my girlfriend goes along she carries this gun and sits in the ravine I expect them to come up and I sit and call from up higher with the rifle.

I think the AR folks have done a good job in legitimizing that type of firearm as a sporting tool. If I had one I would use it, but don't see myself owning one. Here in Oregon coyote pelts have no value ( wrong kind of coyote ). So as strange as it sounds I find them a good opportunity to keep in practice with my Elephant rifles. lol ridiculously true and fun.

When Barnes came out with the VG I put down the Rem 600 .222 and switched to a Tikka T3 lite SS in .243 with 62gr. varmint grenade. A very fast cycling rifle. I use a max of 9x magnification (singles) and dial down to 4x on 2+ dogs for fast target acquisition on running dogs. Smoked a double last week before my partner could even get off a shot. .243 really puts them down and the bullet (VG) rarely does pelt damage.
I recently used a bushy AR but it was heavy and uncomfortable to sling. my partner kept getting hit with the brass. He is LH and I am RH.

Not sure if any of you in SE WYO. have been having this problem but the yotes seem really shy this year. I am guessing that overpopulation has shrunk their territories and that they are less willing to travel far to a call?? Have had many hit the brakes at 600+ yds and just mill around. It is bizarre.?????????

You California guys can't buy AR's now???? When did that happen????I don't keep up with the news.

yotes are 9$ apiece here. whoohoo!!

There should have been a "Bolt, AR-15 & Shotgun" voting button.

I have 4 bolt rifles, 2 AR-15s and a shotgun that I call coyotes with. i use the shotgun more than I do the rifles.

AR-15s in California are perfectly legal to buy if they have a 10 round or less magazine and a Bullet Button on them.

Bowrock Ohbomba sold thousands of AR-15 lowers in California right after he was elected for President.

I agree, should have been a "AR, Bolt, Shot gun" option, however I also shoot an H/R in 204 at yotes quite a bit. I have a DPMS in 223 with a Harris S series bi-pod that works well for moving yotes. 22-250 in a Rem 700 VTR, 243 in a Savage 99, 17 HMR in a Marlin, and a 25-06 in a Ruger 77 that all work great for yotes. Have also used 300 Win mag and 338 Win mag when they were what I was holding. Kind of like a woman in her shoe closet, you go in there and look around and wonder which gun should I take. As for the yotes in my part of SE Wyo, pretty much every one I have shot in the last few years were at various stages of soon to die from mange. Last one was standing 30 feet watching 3 prarie dogs play. He was too sore to move much so wasn't even trying to be stealthy, he was just standing there watching him. 204'ed him so he didn't have to go through the next days snowstorm.

I know this is a LONG RANGE site, however I vote " NONE OF THE ABOVE". I use CROSSBOW ONLY for any hunt. NOTgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.