Which Dies?

Lahunter76

Which dies for a 30Nosler and 215 Bergers. I have looked at the RCBS dies and I Believe they will handle the VLD type bullets fine, but just curious on which dies others use? Also do y'all prefer bushing vs traditional dies?

Which dies for a 30Nosler and 215 Bergers. I have looked at the RCBS dies and I Believe they will handle the VLD type bullets fine, but just curious on which dies others use? Also do y'all prefer bushing vs traditional dies?
I would look at Forster dies. The std die set has a unique low runout for die and a chamber type seater without the micrometer...good stuff.

Redding competition dies with micrometers and bushings and you can adjust to different manufacturers of brass and not be stuck to one diameter either overworking your brass or not working out enough

46AD5E77-63BD-4EA6-B707-F555162ECCDE.jpeg
I have always been shooting Vld bullets so yes both Redding and Forster will work just fine no matter what set you buy you can usually get a VLD stem from the manufacturer when I was using Forrester I cracked two stems also their bushings are proprietary so I kind of stay away and use Redding ding exclusively now

Last edited:
Happy Warrior says: "There are only 2 dies. Redding and Forster. RCBS has gone cheap."

I haven't noticed that RCBS has gone cheap, but I will say they have held the price line on a product that their competition sells for a lot more. When I first started reloading, new RCBS dies cost around $25. Now they're around $60, depending on where you buy them. Meanwhile, the competition is double that. I use Wilson dies exclusively for my bench rest shooting, but am generally satisfied with RCBS for hunting ammo. The one concession I have made is for my Creedmoor, and I have RCBS, Redding and Whidden dies for that. Can't really say that one is better than another. I think I will start using expander plugs instead of the decap stem pulled back through the neck.

I use a mighty armory decap die
Whidden full length bushing sizer die
21st century expander mandrel
Wilson inline seating die with the berger stem
Run out is generally .0002 or less
I also clean up the necks and trim to uniform length on new brass and
Anneal before every reload
After looking at my list I might be a little anal about hunting loads but I enjoy trying to get everything as perfect as I can so when I miss my Mark I know it was the shooter and not the reload .

personally, Like Redding S Type Bushing dies and either RCBS MatchMaster Micro seating die or the Forster Micro. I haven't made the leap to collet dies "yet" not sure I need them.
IMG_2200.JPG

Similar to @RYEWSKY25284, I like a mixture, Redding type S FL bushing die for sizing (I want shoulders bumped) and Forster bench rest die for seating. With the bench rest die you can pretty easily get the CBTO within a couple thousandths of where you want to be so I haven't found the micrometer dies to be worth the added cost for me (I believe they are substantially more). If you need your CBTO to be exact, like within a thousandth, then the micrometer dies are the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.