Which dies?

TORCHRIDER

I am about to embark on reloading the .243 or .243AI and would like your recommendations on which dies to purchase. I have only loaded for factory rounds/rifles and have been happy with the standard Redding dies. Any real reason to go with the Redding Competition die sets? What about the Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set? I am reading good things about the collet dies. Thanks!

If your rifle - and you - are capabile of .5 MOA accuracy, and your loading skills are high, the Forster/Redding comp dies will be helpful.

In the opinion of many reloaders, the collet neck dies included in Lee's Delux sets are the best of their type for sporter rifles but it can be purchased seperately.

Otherwise, strong opinions aside, there is no average accuracy advantage to any brand of conventional, or other brands of so called "comp", dies.

I am about to embark on reloading the .243 or .243AI and would like your recommendations on which dies to purchase. I have only loaded for factory rounds/rifles and have been happy with the standard Redding dies. Any real reason to go with the Redding Competition die sets? What about the Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set? I am reading good things about the collet dies. Thanks!

send about five or six once fired (and unsized) cases to Forster. They'll cut you a set of dies to exactly fit your chamber for about the same price Redding gets for their generic .243AI. The Forster sizer is better than the others cause it dosn't do anything to the neck till the case is encapsulated in the die. Their seater is the best period! The only really good neck die is a Wilson, and the rest are wanta be's
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.