Which neck sizing dies?

Bigeclipse

All,
I have been reloading for a few years and always full length resizing. I am going to start neck sizing my loads, especially with my belted magnums. I am looking for advice on which dies to by...brand and type (competition vs their standard) I do not shoot competition so if I dont need to buy expensive competition dies, that would be great, however, if they are really needed and worth it that is fine to. I am open to all suggestions. Just looking for dies that will simply work and be effective. If a die is 30 bucks like a standard RCBS neck sizing die...and works fine then great :)

LEE collet dies work the best for me.
neck sizing works best if you neck turn your brass first to even neck wall,
I use the K&N system with carbide pilot

I wouldn't bother with neck sizing, it makes no difference to accuracy or case life, and, it can effect accuracy negatively because brass is thicker on one side, and if not sized, can cause a 'banana' condition, where the case is never straight to the bore.
If you have been partial FL sizing with a .002" shoulder bump in standard type dies, then for precision, I would recommend either Redding or Forster FL neck bushing type dies and the benchrest comp seater, this makes a big difference to accuracy than just sizing alone.

Cheers.
gun)

I would go with a Lee collet neck die and a Redding body die , and if you have trouble sizing down to the belt on magnums then add the Innovative Technologies belted magnum collet sizing die .
Redding comp bullet seater . If they are available that is. If not Redding S die for sizing .

because brass is thicker on one side, and if not sized, can cause a 'banana' condition, where the case is never straight to the bore.
This exactly opposite of the truth..
It's sizing(of thickness variance) that brings out the banana.
The straightest cases possible are FF'd and NOT FL sized.

unless you are going to do some serious competitions save your cash and use the Lee collet system.
I have been using this system or just under 20 years now and love it.
But, in reality what it gives you is no need for lube and hardly no effort required to size the brass. And I must disagree with the argument that NS will not extend your case life, I have a batch of federal 7mm rm (120) that I bought in in Sept 2007 so far I have shot them 1229 times (120 as factory loads and 1209 reloaded). And just last week while reloading I did notice 3 loose primer pockets (I have sharpie colored these for disposal when fired).

I have WSM cases that have been fired 20 plus times in matches and they were full length sized every time. I have Dashers that were shot over 30 times in matches and they were full length sized every time. Annealing is the secret to accuracy and making cases last. Matt

So which neck sizing die will bump the sholder back on the case? I think the redding S bushing dies do this. I have found my RCBS standard neck sizing die will not do this.

None of the Neck sizing dies will. The Redding full length type S Bushing die will. Watch you don't get confused by the wording bushing neck die, It has to be a full length neck bushing die. Matt

None of the Neck sizing dies will. The Redding full length type S Bushing die will. Watch you don't get confused by the wording bushing neck die, It has to be a full length neck bushing die. Matt

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Forster Neck Bushing Bump dies will bump the shoulder back while sizing the neck. You just have to make sure not to bump too much.

Wilson dies in an arbor press will neck size, but not body size. If you have F/L dies now, just buy a set of Skip's die shims from Sinclair. Keep your F/L die set where it bumps slightly, and put a shim under it when you want to neck size only.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Forster Neck Bushing Bump dies will bump the shoulder back while sizing the neck. You just have to make sure not to bump too much.
If it is a bump die it is not a neck die. A bump die is full length sizing unless you don't put it down far enough to bump. I prefer to bump the shoulders .002. It gives no loss of accuracy and brass lasts. Most importantly the brass functions in my gun. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.