Which Chronograph should I buy???

tsmiller4

Pact Model 1 XP
Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital
or the Shooting Chrony Beta Master?

I am leaning to the Beta Master but saw some bad reviews on Midway. I just want something easy to use and dependable in different lighting for under $150.

Thanks,
300rumshooter

I can't speak as to the others but I have a Pro Chrono Digital that works really well for me. I upgraded from an old shooting chrony with small screens that had to be in just the right light to register. I have used the Pro Chrono about 10 times and have never failed to register a shot and no ridiculous fps like 335 fps for a 300WM like I would get with the old one from time to time. A friend of mine said that the connection for the battery would probably eventually get loose but that is easily fixable.
It has generously sized screens, it displays high and low, ES and SD and you can have up to 6 (I think) different shot strings. It remembers data even when it is turned off then back on later.
Hope this helps,
Sam

300rumshooter,
[ QUOTE ]
I just want something easy to use and dependable in different lighting for under $150.

[/ QUOTE ] You will not find a chronograph like that for less than $150.00, but you're not that far off. Look into the CED Millennium Chronograph, very good chronograph with 24" screen seperation and with the options to buy the infrared lights that will give you a reading at anytime including complete darkness if you wanted it. IMO is the the way to go and the price is excellent. Do a search in this forum for it, lots has been said abot it. Good luck!

I don't know why anyone would pay more than $75 for a chrony. I have two low-end shootingchrony units. I put them end to end and get consistent readings - from my 550 FPS pellet gun in the house (artificial light) to my 50 BMG shooting 150gr .308 sabots.

The electronics involved in timing is ultra low tech, well known and essentially trivial.
Chrony%20OpenClosed3.jpg

B1G_BORE,
If you're happy with them that's what counts. I'm glad for you. I'm afraid, though, that many of the serious long range shooters and reloaders would not share your enthusiasm, being the reason some of us would pay more than $75.00

I'm in a similar dilema as you are.

I bought the Shooting Chrony Beta Master. It was a complete piece of junk. It would only read in complete sunlight and then would still give all kinds of false readings. I usually shoot in the afternoon after work and when the shadow from the canopy over the shooting benches reached the chrony, that was the end of getting any readings. I returned it and have been without a chronograph for some time while I make up my mind on which one now I want. I have heard that the way the shooting chrony's fold causes inconsistencies in the velocity readings (changes the angles and distances between the two sensors). I really want an Oehler chronograph because it is the only one that I have not heard bad things about. As I understand it, they are no longer being made and the used ones are expensive and hard to find.

I've thought about getting either the Pact professional model or the CED Millenium with infrared screens, but don't like the idea of having to buy the IR screens separately. Does anyone know if one of these are sold with only the IR screens?

[ QUOTE ]
B1G_BORE,
If you're happy with them that's what counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with that statement. What makes this forum great is that BS is exposed and the truth comes out. When I was pitching the best $25 in pound torque wrench, uncle B came in and called BS. I happen to own a Seekonk - one of my finest and most cherished instruments. Compared to the Seekonk , the $25 unit is junk. But I still think the $25 unit is far better than nothing. (I keep one in my truck in case I'm at the range with an unplanned scope change). I thank uncleB for bringing in another perspective - I think I left the impression the $25 unit was all anyone would ever need.

ingauge.jpg

The Chrony has flaws - one mentioned by fishry below (harder to get readings). I don't always get readings but rarely get false readings. The one thing I hate about the Chrony is missing reading. If I ever get the same exact velocity two shots in a row I'd never know it. If the velocity is the same twice in a row I assume it just didn't get the reading. I often have to play with the plastic fake clouds.
I'll go for better chronies some day.
If I'm doing a controlled test where I need vel to compare two different loads, not getting reading really messes up the data (as now I have to shoot 6 or 7 shots in lieu of 5 - heating the barrel further)

<font color="purple"> &gt;&gt;many of the serious long range shooters and reloaders would not share your enthusiasm</font>
Very true! But perhaps the Chrony works good enuf for the less serious guys. I loath cliches, but "you get what you pay for" is usually accurate.
Would you buy the following statement?
You've got only $100 and you want a chronograph and an in-pound torque wrench. Go for the cheapo torque wrench and a Chrony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for pointing this out, again I think I made the cheap route sound too good.

BIG_BORE,

[ QUOTE ]
You've got only $100 and you want a chronograph and an in-pound torque wrench. Go for the cheapo torque wrench and a Chrony

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being a bad boy, aren't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.