Which Brass

Capt. D

I just picked up a new remington VLS 22-250 and will complete break-in using factory ammunition. I have not ever reloaded a metalic cartridge but will begin with this rifle. Any thoughts on which brass ie; remington, hornady, winchester, etc. would be best for reloading. Rifle will be a dedicated cyote rig with, hopefully, 400yd + accuracy.

Last edited:
If you want the best buy lapua. If you want what will work fine then buy winchester. I just rebarreled my 22-250 to 243 so I have lots of ammo, brass and dies for the 22-250 if you need these things to get started.

I have a rem 700 in 22-250 factory barrel 26in 1-12 twist action bedded and barrel free floated. I shoot the 50gr vmax and 38.0gr of H380 with cci 200 primers. i load the bullet way out i think .020 off lands. This is a mild load in my rifle but start at book loads and work up. I have used the fed 210gm primers but havent noticed any difference so i just kept using cci200. This is a pretty accurate load in my rifle .3 to .4 groups at 100yrds depending on me. If you need some other loads there are alot of 22-250 loads on reloadersnest.com for 22-250 rem. hope this helps

So Far So Good, Thanks

I am not planning on buying any brass at this point, just using the brass from the factory ammunition that I use to break in the barrel. Comments seem to point to the hornady brass around here but I've heard that its a bit on the soft side.

As far as a press, dies, and other components for reloading metalic cartridges, I don't have anything yet. Still researching. As far as a press goes I'm thinking of a Forester single stage. Any input on what I will need to build ammo for accuracy would be welcome.

I will be using this loading experience to learn for a long range build. Probably a 7WSM.

Dallas

Last edited:
Thats all i have been using is Hornady brass, i have never had any problems with it. I am no expert on reloading but i just started out with the RCBS deluxe reloading kit and have added alot of stuff since then. I like the gold metal die sets becuase you can pick the neck bushing you want to use. also redding dies are quailty too. just get a realoding book and go from there, I will warn you though its very very addicting and alot of fun.

Thanks Guys,
I'll be using factory hornady ammunition for my break in process and to get the brass. I guess my 1st reloads will be in fire formed brass. gun)

Dallas

Due to the law of diminishing returns, you can go with a basic plan i.e. re-use brass from factory ammo and achieve good results.

If you want to improve on those results, you will need to continue to work harder.

The very best handloads start with the best brass and uniform lots. ...that would be Lapua.

-- richard

I have never used Hornady brass in 22-250, but I have in 204 and 375 Ruger. The 204 showed over 13 grains weight difference in 100 cases. The 375 is even worse. I am a BIG fan of Hornady bullets and shoot a lot of them but their brass sucks IMHO. That is far and away the worst quality control I have ever seen on brass. I weight sorted the 204 and tried a couple of loads but tossed the brass and went to Winchester. The 375 I have no choice, no one else makes the brass but in this big a cartridge the volume difference isn't as critical.

For inexpensive brass I would go Winchester, if you can afford top of the line then Lapua is it.

As to reloading gear, for single stage or turret non-progressives, scales, trimmers etc Lyman makes top notch stuff and it is quite a lot better priced than RCBS or Redding. For dies, I would stick to Redding, they are worth their extra cost. For Progressive loaders, Hornady LNPL or Dixon would be my choice. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.