Which brass for 284 win?

Kroberts

I just moved onto using my second batch of 50 brass for my 284win. So since in starting on my last batch it's time to replenish my supply. 50 brass lasted me a little over a year of shooting, so I should have a bit of time to get some more. I got 11 shots out of the first batch of necked up lapua brass and on load 11 there no force needed to seat the primer, but they stayed put. So I'm pitching it before a pocket blows. I should get a good year of shootin out of the second half of the brass. But I'd like to have more on hand. I'm was going to get more lapua, but I saw that Norma has 284win brass that's supposed to be real good without necking up, which isn't a big deal at all.

So necked up lapua brass or Norma brass? Which is better. I'm thinking its pretty negligible difference, but if like some input.

Thanks,
Kyle

L
A
P
U
A

At the same velocity Lapua will last quite a bit longer in the 284. I have run both.

Just buy the Norma .284 brass from bullets.com! It was specially made for them by Norma and had extra attention taken to the primer pockets to strengthen them up and make them stay tight longer.

Brass hardness in the base of the case and how thick the flash hole web is governs how long your primer pockets last.

Below you hear about soft Federal brass but the actual problem was a thin flash hole web that adds radial strength to the base.

cYeTsDp.jpg

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests « Daily Bulletin

Below .308 case testing

TDwPD1Q.jpg

XEuny9C.jpg

Now you need to decide which cases are made Ford Truck Tough andone, chose

Brass hardness in the base of the case and how thick the flash hole web is governs how long your primer pockets last.

Below you hear about soft Federal brass but the actual problem was a thin flash hole web that adds radial strength to the base.

cYeTsDp.jpg

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests « Daily Bulletin

Below .308 case testing

TDwPD1Q.jpg

XEuny9C.jpg

Now you need to decide which cases are made Ford Truck Tough andone, chose

You cannot suggest that a study of 1 (ONE) case from each manufacturer means squat. The statistical analysis of such an undertaking would reveal a worthless confidence interval.

I've forgotten more statistics than whomever did that stupid exercise ever knew in the first place...

Its analogy for you reloaders would be to start loading only two shot groups and making all your load decisions based on the two shot group. You KNOW that won't work from personal experience. But there is good statistical reasons why 4 and 5 shot groups tell you more than 3 shot groups.

And why 2 shot groups are meaningless.

And why the loads to fail for a single case is also meaningless.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like to get lots of 100, I just use 50 since that's what my ammo box holds and we don't go through more than about 25 shots per session anyway. So it works out well to break it down a bit. Necking up the brass isn't a big deal to me at all. I use a lee sizer for the long tapered expander. Then swap to Forster dies for the loading. I'm set up to remove the donut from necking up and neck turn to even things out a bit. I'm more concerned with the strength of the primer pocket then anything. In my chamber I anneal after every second shot since I noticed my speed spread starts to rise after the 2nd shot. If the Norma has as hard of a case head as the lapua I might try a batch of it to see how I like it and save the time of necking up and neck turning. Though I do enjoy doing those sort of things. At this point I'm leaning towards the lapua unless te new Norma 284 is a bit tougher than the older.

Kyle

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.