What are the 284 Win. shooters doing for brass?

Shoalwater

I am contemplating on building a sort of do all type of gun in 284 Winchester. I pretty much bow hunt exclusively, but need a good hunt all type of rifle for those times I get invites on gun hunting only trips. I am really tired of lugging around any of my current guns, as they are all pretty much Fat Boys and made to carry from the truck to the ground or bench and shoot.

Since Winchester is the only one that makes brass and it is no existent, are y'all just necking up 6.5-284 Norma or Lapua brass? Thanks for the help.

There is usually a season run on 284 Winchester brass.....I bought 500 pieces one time and it should last we forever.

I agree necking up Lapua 6.5x284 is a great option also and I almost had to go that route but stumbled across the limited run a couple years ago.

Keep looking, it's out there

Ya, I would much rather find the Winchester brass, as I really don't want to have to get into neck turning. I have 3 small children and demanding job, free time is really precious these days, so anything that adds time to the reloading process doesn't really appeal to me right now. I guess I will just keep my eyes open.

On a side note, my plan is to shoot Nosler 150gr LR AB's, if they every ship, do you think I will be able to push them out to around 3000fps with a 24" bbl, or is that asking a little to much? I will be building on a long action so I can seat the bullets way out and still mag feed them.

I dont think you will have to neck turn and .264-.284 is a small jump which i would think is easily achievable with the expander from a 284win die set. Also if you use lee dies they include a long taper mandrel for a de capping rod that makes necking up a breeze.

Why would you need to neck turn? Necking up will thin the neck out (very slightly), so it shouldn't need turned to fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts