Which Brass Mfg?

esshup

I think I have 3 choices. Remington, Winchester and Norma. Specifically a 22-250 that will be necked up to 6mm-250. Remington and Winchester are running about the same price, and Norma is over 2x the cost. For that price difference, is Norma worth it? Or should I look at Remington or Winchester? I plan on loading 500 rounds for a p-dog hunt later on in 2009.

Go with Winchester cases and don't look back. Just prep them and then weigh each one and keep them within .5grs of each other. I'm using Remington brass now for my 22-250 because I bought a bag of 100 a while ago, but Winchester is supposed to be a comparable option to Lapua or Norma from what I've heard. Remington brass is supposed to be too soft and the primer pockets loosen up faster, and of course Lapua and Norma have a longer life. I previously had a few Winchester cases given to me, and the primer pocket DID stay tight longer than the Remingtons do. But anyway, Winchester is a heck of a lot cheaper than european brass and it IS supposed to be comparable. Even for match brass.

Good luck. gun)

Welll...I hold a different opinion. (As always!)

WW brass tends to be hard and thin. Good stuff, but not in the same league as Norma, IMHO. If I were necking UP I sure wouldn't use WW, nor expensive Norma either. Rather have RP 'cause it tends to be thicker and softer which would be an advantage when necking up.

On the other hand, I avoid necking UP at all. Much prefer to neck DOWN because, in my experience, it makes for more consistant necks. I'd rather use WW .250-3000 cases to get where you want to go.

And I'd for sure anneal those necks afterwards.

Last edited:
boomtube:

You have a valid point! Unfortunately, Grafs is out of stock. I have some time, and I'll get the 22-250's on this order. Maybe by the time I'm ready to place the next order they'll have some 250 Savage. It'll save me the time and expense of fireforming as well.

Win brass will work just fine. Neck it up and if you neck turn to clean up the necks for a consistent neck wall diameter, you will have very good shooting brass. For high volume pd shooting you probably don't need to neck turn if you'd rather not.
I neck up the super thick 25wssm brass to 6.5 wssm , neck turn them and have gotten great accuracy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.