Which Brass for the 300 RUM

Triple BB

I think I'm finally getting my long range rifle dialed in. It's liking the 212 grn ELD-X's with Hornady brass. I also have a fair amount of both new Remington and Nosler brass. Right now I'm shooting consistent 1/2" - 5/8" groups at a 100 yards. Before I put more wear on my barrel, wondering if anyone has seen noticeable improvement with one brand over another. In my case, is a 3/8" - 1/2" group possible just by switching brass?

First of all, more important than brass, the quality of the rifle, brass prep, your load work up process and shooting ability could limit you on smaller groups. That being said, I prefer Nosler brass for longer life in the RUMs. More expensive, but primer pockets stay tight longer. Have you experimented with seating depth? That could well make the difference you're looking for.

Nosler is much, much better. The Remington rum brass I have used was about as bad as it can get. Very inconsistent plus short life

Hornady is good brass, and I use it in my revolvers and my 6.5 Grendel AR, but I prefer Nosler for my bolt-action centerfires.

Nosler is much, much better. The Remington rum brass I have used was about as bad as it can get. Very inconsistent plus short life

Baloney. Been using the Remington since 2000. Zero issues. Guess 7 loadings is short life. mtmuley

I pushed the Remington brass with full charge loads and I'll be the first to say in a RUM you better stop at 5 reloads FL sizing...because 6 shootings it comes apart...and you gun make a weird noise and the bolt is really hard to open to get the brass out....then you spend money getting it checked out to make sure there is no damage.....Any ways every thing can make a difference so go with what works best...I had heard the hornady brass was softer than Remington but I only have experience using the Remington. I havn't seen any 300 RUM Remington brass for sail since 2007. I've been using the 7mm RUM brass and neck sizing it up. I think after I run out I'm going to switch over to the nosler brass.

Wow Remington brass has been the only brass in my book for 3 of my 300 Rums with thousands of rounds combined. And for the 5 firings man you must be doing something wrong? I have shot so many firings thru Remington 300 Rum brass that the primer pockets finally will not hold a primer @ all. I am talking 7 plus firings. My loads are far from soft also. I run 92.0 H-1000 with the Berger 215 and 94 grains Retumbo with the 212 ELDX. I have never had an issue with Remington brass in 7mm or 300Rum or 338Rum?????gun)lightbulb

Wow Remington brass has been the only brass in my book for 3 of my 300 Rums with thousands of rounds combined. And for the 5 firings man you must be doing something wrong? I have shot so many firings thru Remington 300 Rum brass that the primer pockets finally will not hold a primer @ all. I am talking 7 plus firings. My loads are far from soft also. I run 92.0 H-1000 with the Berger 215 and 94 grains Retumbo with the 212 ELDX. I have never had an issue with Remington brass in 7mm or 300Rum or 338Rum?????gun)lightbulb

I ran into problems with Rem brass duplicating the Berger 230gr Hybrid & RL33 loads in other threads on here. I'd loose a lot of primer pockets after 1x.

The loads you posted I'm getting the same brass life.

I don't know, maybe its the full length sizing that is so hard. But I had separation at 6 loads and that was the last time I ever took the brass to that count again. I get a little worried on the 5th load. I'm shooting 89.3 grn of retumbo pushing a 230 berger. My OAL is about 3.8. I think if I went to just neck sizing they would last longer. At 5 the primer pockets are still ok but the case webbing is really thin.

I don't know, maybe its the full length sizing that is so hard. But I had separation at 6 loads and that was the last time I ever took the brass to that count again. I get a little worried on the 5th load. I'm shooting 89.3 grn of retumbo pushing a 230 berger. My OAL is about 3.8. I think if I went to just neck sizing they would last longer. At 5 the primer pockets are still ok but the case webbing is really thin.

What do you get for speeds running 89.3 retumbo? Is barrel 26? I am guessing 2950-2975?

its a Sendero and the speed is right at 2950 average is 2945...I used some RL26 the other day with the 220 ELD-X and got 3025 at 87grains. Also got single SD and ES was 13. gun plus me shot a .7 inch group with these. Seated at mag length. not to bad for mag length.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.