Which brand of 300 win mag

All good options, OP.

Bergara Premier is a really great rifle. You may be able to get one in your price range.

I like Tikkas but I think they twist all their 30 cals 1:11.

I wouldn't buy a 300WM with an 11 twist.
As of Feb 2021 twist for 300 WM is 1:10"

I second that, if you are concerned call them and ask them to shoot it before they ship it. You will have pay extra for this service but worth the money. Remington would do this back in the the day.

I just talked to a guy who runs a reloading store. That is about all he sells is components. It has been in his family for probably 60 years.
Anyway one of his buddies was in the store so I got to hear them swap info. They like to shoot a mile.
He says they have never seen a Bergara not shoot bug holes or a Savage. In fact he buys a lot of used Savage take off barrels for $50 and makes his own custom rifles.
I have never even seen a Bergara but have shot a pile of Savage's.

I just talked to a guy who runs a reloading store. That is about all he sells is components. It has been in his family for probably 60 years.
Anyway one of his buddies was in the store so I got to hear them swap info. They like to shoot a mile.
He says they have never seen a Bergara not shoot bug holes or a Savage. In fact he buys a lot of used Savage take off barrels for $50 and makes his own custom rifles.
I have never even seen a Bergara but have shot a pile of Savage's.
I have a few custom rifles that cost a boatload of money and they have performed very well over the years. Last year after hearing and seeing the performance of the 6.5 creedmore, I decided to purchase an inexpensive Savage Axis in the 6.5. I figured if the rifle didn't shoot well, I'd swap the barrel myself and get what I wanted. Well after about 100 rounds thru it with very little tuning, it shoot 3/4" - 5 shot groups. This rifle costs less than 1/20 of my customs and performs just as well.

Just a heads up on Tikka's. They're now making Tikka's with a 1:10 twist for the 300 win mag.

Eurooptic.com has them listed on their site. The magazine COAL is insanely short so long and heavy bullets kind of make it a single shot setup or you have to seat them so deep you're really into the powder column. The jump to the lands would be approaching or exceeding .333". There's aftermarket options for getting more COAL with some bottom metal upgades.

Some of the newer models like the Lite Veil and Roughtech come threaded 5/8-24 (see below for examples of 1:10 twist options)

I recently bought a Sako S20 Precision in 300 Win. Advertised all over as 1:11 twist but it's actually 1:10. "Cartridge+" Magazine allows 3.6" COAL. Out of your stated price range but there's nothing I want to change on it. That is rare for me and a factory rifle. Most factory stocks are just throw away for me but it's just a preference.

Last edited:
I have a few custom rifles that cost a boatload of money and they have performed very well over the years. Last year after hearing and seeing the performance of the 6.5 creedmore, I decided to purchase an inexpensive Savage Axis in the 6.5. I figured if the rifle didn't shoot well, I'd swap the barrel myself and get what I wanted. Well after about 100 rounds thru it with very little tuning, it shoot 3/4" - 5 shot groups. This rifle costs less than 1/20 of my customs and performs just as well.
My powder supplier said the same thing. A lot of the Savage axis will shoot as well as a full blown custom rig 10-20 times more expensive.

A man comes in looking for a four door family sedan (300 WM) and you are trying to talk him into a suzuki gsxr, (sports bike). In that case why not the fastest one out there, the 6.5 Weatherby RPM.

Seriously, any of the 300 WM you mentioned will do the job. Make sure you get at least a 1-10 twist. I like like M70 Extreme Weather, but anyone you mentioned is a good rifle. Make sure it fits you well.

Last edited:
A man comes in looking for a four door family sedan (300 WM) and you are trying to talk him into a suzuki gsxr, (sports bike). In that case why not the fastest one out there, the 6.5 Weatherby RPM.

Seriously, any of the 300 WM you mentioned will do the job. Make sure you get at least a 1-10 twist. I like like M70 Extreme Weather, but anyone you mentioned is a good rifle. Make sure it fits you well.
The RPM is not the fastest, that title goes to the 6.5x300. Plus this man has a limited budget and wants some guarantee it will shoot. The Vanguard in 300win mag has all that. One MOA at 100 yards.

The RPM is not the fastest, that title goes to the 6.5x300. Plus this man has a limited budget and wants some guarantee it will shoot. The Vanguard in 300win mag has all that. One MOA at 100 yards.
I know that, but the RPM is not belted, the 300 is belted.

Recent Posts