Ibex Hunt 2020 which Projectile for .300 Win Mag

My hunt is in kyrgyzstan next November and my rifle is a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic with a 4-16x50 F1 in Tally Mounts.

I have not really done a lot of long range hunting, to be honest I prefer to get as close as possible. I did test the rifle on a Fallow doe at 385 yards and that was fine. I can also consistently hit steel at 550 yards at my local range.
With the Ibex hunt shots are expected to be between 250 and 600 yards. I'm sure I wont be shooting past 550 yards.
I have used barnes TSX 165 grain bullets in the past and my preference would be Barnes however my understanding is that they are not great for long range due to the Vendor supplying fairly inaccurate and optimistic G1 and G7 data.
Also I want to use the Hornady App for load development prior to having a ballistic turret or tape made before the trip.
I hear a lot about Berger bullets and Hornandy has data for them in the App so i'm tempted to try them.
What would readers here suggest and why?

Cheers
I prefer burger bullets over most anything else they have never let me down

My hunt is in kyrgyzstan next November and my rifle is a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic with a 4-16x50 F1 in Tally Mounts.

I have not really done a lot of long range hunting, to be honest I prefer to get as close as possible. I did test the rifle on a Fallow doe at 385 yards and that was fine. I can also consistently hit steel at 550 yards at my local range.
With the Ibex hunt shots are expected to be between 250 and 600 yards. I'm sure I wont be shooting past 550 yards.
I have used barnes TSX 165 grain bullets in the past and my preference would be Barnes however my understanding is that they are not great for long range due to the Vendor supplying fairly inaccurate and optimistic G1 and G7 data.
Also I want to use the Hornady App for load development prior to having a ballistic turret or tape made before the trip.
I hear a lot about Berger bullets and Hornandy has data for them in the App so i'm tempted to try them.

Cheers

044719A1-8C4B-4E48-B986-654543022E33.jpeg

Cheers
Here is some info from Bryan Litz's book ballistic performance of rifle bullets a 30 caliber 168 gr hunting Vld I prefer the Shooter app it allows me to run multiple BC's or basically create my own custom curve I'm not sure about Hornady everything should still be Trued at the range but this is about as accurate information as you can start with

Pick the bullet with the highest bc that you can fire accurately. That may be the 215 berger, may be the 210 accubond or 212 eldx. Stay heavier with cup and core bullets.
You may not have time to do a bunch of wind measuring so I would be practicing your wind estimating and shooting 500-600 yards in some real wind before I went. Shooting well in unknown winds will end up more important than the bullet you pick if you stay with the heavier/high bc bullets. Won't matter what bullet you use if you miss a wind call by a foot or more.

I'd say load up some 181gr hammers at make your drop charts. At 500-600 yards bc doesn't play that large of factor. At those ranges speed is king for wind and drop. Plus that bullet is tough enough.
If you like Barnes you will love the hammers. I fell they are just a better performing mono.
Sounds like a great trip and will be amazing I'm sure

I've had great luck with TTSX out past 500 on elk and 215 Bergers from 200-725 yards. Biggest thing is knowing what your bullet is doing before you go. Get your dope figured out for that bullet and go make a good shot. Regardless of which bullet you use build your confidence before you go.

I agree with several members here, if using cup and core go heavy over 200gr, the heavier the tougher the bullet is and the more penetration you'll get.

If you are confident on using Barnes then go ahead. At and under 600 yds BC's don't matter as much, just know how to read winds.

Whatever you decide to use just know your ballistics based on actual practice and not rely completely on a ballistics app.

Happy Hunting!

Cheers
You might take a look at the Hammer bullets I have found them to be very accurate and perform well on game They are a little more expensive but worth the extra cost

Cheers
At those ranges you'd be hard pressed to do better than the 200 gr Nosler Accubond. It has a good bc of .588 to help you with wind drift and decades of phenomenal performance on heavy boned game and even dangerous game. You will not be disappointed with that bullet for your hunt and it is available in excellent factory ammo if that what you need for your international hunt. Best of luck, definitely envious!

Last edited:

Federal has come out with 2 bullets for the 30. A 175 and a 200. BT tipped solid shank bonded. If your rifle likes them they would be my choice. I have no faith in the nosler LRAB. I loaded 150,s in a standard 280 and at 200 yards it did not make it through a spike whitetail buck. hmmmm Too soft. Pretty much my opinion of the Hornady and nosler long range bullets. But these new federals look like the reAL deal. Think a slippery nosler partition. Always open but never blow up
Cheers

Federal premium edge tlr is the name of these bullets

I'm hoping that some of you guys using them will pile up a bunch of game with them soon and give us some complete reviews on the TLR. It's a very interesting concept basically reversing the Nosler Partitions' structure and incorporating a boat tail and much Higher BC bullet overall.

I did this hunt October start shooting at extream angles up down --if you can shoot straight down a cliff face at a target from above that would be great practice--practice in wind if you can--it was windy almost every day.More than likely your shot will be in excess of 300 yards. 2 of our groups shots were over 400. And I missed a huge ibex at 557 yards in pretty extream conditions. The ibex I did not feel were that extreamly tough...i have shot a lot of stuff with Berger and while not confidence inspiring--have gotten the job done in most. If I could I use a accubond but would not shy from Berger if that is what my gun liked. Get your legs under you and pray for snow to push them down. Without snow you will be staying in the tops of the mountains...i shot mine at 13,200 ft..it is a good extream hunt. The horses are amazing. You will have fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.