Ibex Hunt 2020 which Projectile for .300 Win Mag

I would not hesitate to use a Berger on Ibex. I used 150gr Berger vld in 270Wby on my Altai Ibex and it did the job just fine. My father used a 200gr eld x out of his 300 win mag on his Ibex as well. We have used Bergers and trusted them on quite of few big hunts from Once an A Lifetime Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Altai Ibex, Az elk tags, and big mule deer. Shots ranged from 98yds to 855 yds. So if they shoot in your rifle I wouldn't even worry about it.

My hunt is in kyrgyzstan next November and my rifle is a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic with a 4-16x50 F1 in Tally Mounts.

I have not really done a lot of long range hunting, to be honest I prefer to get as close as possible. I did test the rifle on a Fallow doe at 385 yards and that was fine. I can also consistently hit steel at 550 yards at my local range.
With the Ibex hunt shots are expected to be between 250 and 600 yards. I'm sure I wont be shooting past 550 yards.
I have used barnes TSX 165 grain bullets in the past and my preference would be Barnes however my understanding is that they are not great for long range due to the Vendor supplying fairly inaccurate and optimistic G1 and G7 data.
Also I want to use the Hornady App for load development prior to having a ballistic turret or tape made before the trip.
I hear a lot about Berger bullets and Hornandy has data for them in the App so i'm tempted to try them.
What would readers here suggest and why?

Cheers
Well, my "go-to" gun is a non-customized Browning x-bolt stainless steel stalker in 300WM. The rounds I choose are usually a Barnes 165 grain or a Swift A-frame 180 grain, depending o the animal being hunted; in my rifle both rounds shoot almost exactly the same using my Leupold 6-20 with CDS. In the last year I have taken one shot kills at ranges up to and exceeding 450 yards. The A-frame gets my nod for heavier denser game like zebra, kudu, or eland, the Barnes for smaller like sable, roan or ibex, etc. The 165 should work fine--my ibex was at around 375 yards and dropped in its tracks. If you're happy with what you are shooting DON"T change--the confidence you have in the gun and round will make the shot instinctive and that maybe the difference between success and failure. Attached are pics of some of the animals taken in the last 13 months using that rifle and those loads:
DSC02901.JPG DSC02944 (2).JPG DSC03113.JPG DSC03132.JPG DSC03410.JPG DSC03388.JPG DSC03437.JPG DSC03683.JPG ibexc.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03700.JPG
    DSC03700.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 286
I'm not gonna argue with anyone's personal experience, that said the Berger 215 is a proven performer. I believe a lot of the bad experiences people have had are due to not cleaning out the hollow point tip area. When I loaded up my last batch for hunting, a little over half had plugged tips. Some were filled so bad I couldn't clean them out with a wire drill. Those will almost certainly pencil through an animal like an FMJ.

Well said.

I just returned from Kyrz hunt for a Marco Polo ram. I used a 300WM shooting 185gr Berger Classic Hunter bullets going 3185fps. Elevation was above 14,000'. Killed him with one shoulder shot at 442yds. He dropped in his tracks without a flinch. Could not have been any better.

I'm not a "long range shooter". Most animals I kill are well under 200yds yet sometimes out to 350yds if needed.

Make a solid hit and you will get your game.

I use what I like. I'd use the same combination again for this hunt or Ibex.

The steel ram was three at 550 yards.
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG

You have you bullet. Nothing wrong with the Barnes bullet. Shoot it at range and gather your own data. Remember, ballistic coefficients are based on barrels that are not your barrel. At the end of the day the ONLY BC that matters is the one that your gun shoots.
Are there other bullet choices out there? Sure. You already shoot a great bullet. Why mess around with other bullets and possibly have a once in a lifetime hunt go bad by using an inferior bullet.

I hunted Ibex over there last year and I used a 6.5 PRC slinging Bergers at 2900 or so and it was one shot and dead at approximately 400 yards. That said, the mid-asian ibex are large bodied and very tough. The billy I shot went quite a ways before piling up. I've killed a ton of mountain game with Bergers and I wouldn't use anything else on an international hunt. Most of those guys are screaming "shoot" and sometimes its 500+ yards to the animal and it happens FAST so I like having the Bergers wound channel in case I make a marginal shot.

On North American game I use Barnes or Swift bullets since the distances and shooting scenarios tend to more predictable.

Attachments

• DSC_0053.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 260
I would say the bullet is the last thing you need to be worried about. All this crap about he said she said this bullet blah blah; go find a load shoot it and shoot it well out to many ranges under different weather and wind conditions and be comfortable with shooting whichever your longest distance is in those weather and wind conditions. Get in dang good shape and keep practicing, keep in mind your angles, i still forget them! Go have fun and have confidence not only in the bullet your shooting but your rifle, scope, powder and everything else that entails that shot!

I have been hunting Asian mountain game for almost 30 years and have successfully killed game in any country that has an open season on the game I hunt. The most important thing is to use a known quality game bullet that you and your rifle shoot ACCURATELY. I have killed many of my game with Barnes, but have also used successfully NoslerAB, and Berger among others. Be prepared to judge your animal for your self as your guides will most often tell you to shoot as soon as a prey is spotted - once an animal is shot they are ready to head to camp, collect their tip and go home. They either have no concept of "trophy" or don't care. Sometimes if you insistent you want to shoot a "grandfather" it helps .... some times. Your interrupter usually stays in camp and the actual guides usually have an English vocabulary of from 5 to 20 words. On one of my Marco Polo hunts the only words my guide could pronounce was "shoot" and "sniper". I would recommend that you tell them that you can only shoot to 300 yds. Even so usually every animal that they see will be "300 yds" In closing go with a accurate load, be prepared for outlandish angles and altitudes, and be willing to say "no" to cries to "shoot". The last MP I shot in Krz-stan I had to say "no" for 6 days until I saw a record book animal. Be able to decide for yourself if the animal is a "good one". In Krz-Stan you will almost for sure ride horses. It will be cold and windy. You usually have to earn your trophy. It is a magnificent hunt. I have hunted there twice and hope to hunt once more with one of my sons before I hang up my hunting boots. Good Luck

If you like barnes, shoot barnes. I am starting to load barnes 168gr TTSX in a 300 weatherby mag with good results. They are showing well with minimal load development at 500 yards.

In my experience the 168 gr Barnes TTSX has been unusually accurate in a number of my rifles and would be fine for a Mid-Asian Ibex.

If you like barnes, shoot barnes. I am starting to load barnes 168gr TTSX in a 300 weatherby mag with good results. They are showing well with minimal load development at 500 yards.

The 168 Barnes TTSX in a .300 Wby Mag has become my go to deer round when hunting in grizzly country. I agree on the accuracy, really nice groups.

I know what it will do on a deer and imagine it would perform well on a sheep or goat at distance.

My input is relative not to bullet choice, but load work up, trajectory validation, and ballistic app.
Once you settle on the bullet you are going to use, I personally would not trust any app without validating the data that it provides. If done correctly, you can validate the bullet BC, and the application. 550-700 yards wont present any particular challenges for that cartridge, with almost any bullet available. I think that testing the apps accuracy related to how it factors different atmospheric and shot angle inputs would serve you well on your hunt. Finding a way to test that would be important to me. For what it's worth, I use Strelok Pro as my app, and when given proper data, it has never let me down inside of 1600 yards. Good Luck.

I have killed lots of animals with both the TTSX and the Berger Hunting bullets. Maybe I am just lucky but I have not lost an animal or had any issues with either bullet. Most Animals drop on the spot with the Bergers, if you do your part. IMO they are both great hunting bullets and whichever shoots best out of your rifle is what you should use.
Take your time and make the shot count and neither will let you down.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.