Ibex Hunt 2020 which Projectile for .300 Win Mag

Pick the bullet with the highest bc that you can fire accurately. That may be the 215 berger, may be the 210 accubond or 212 eldx. Stay heavier with cup and core bullets.
You may not have time to do a bunch of wind measuring so I would be practicing your wind estimating and shooting 500-600 yards in some real wind before I went. Shooting well in unknown winds will end up more important than the bullet you pick if you stay with the heavier/high bc bullets. Won't matter what bullet you use if you miss a wind call by a foot or more.
Good answer

I don,t know about you but with a fast gun and hunting I have learned the wind drift is not as much as you think so it needs practice

I've seen wind drift in hunting situations add up to as much as 5' off target.

It's also the most difficult of all the variables to control for.

Personally I've seen more bad shots due to poor wind calls and adjustments than even ranging errors.

WR- you must have been watching me missing antelope! ha I "belong" to the "can't judge the wind" Club. This has been out on what I call the "short grass praries"...no indicators. Bum-Fuzzled me to no end! My first was around 350yds, it looked like 6ft to me! I repeated that 4 more times that day on 4 more bucks! Than I slipped up on one chasing a doe, I crawled up into/wrapped myself up into a snow fence and "missed" him(!) running at 100yds! He then ran off on a wide angle and I just held on front edge and popped him at 200, then a second one ( unneeded) around 250. ( Mod 700 MR 280 reamed to the AI/150NBT@2950fps) Years later, it was a doe antelope around 500yds. I was prone up on a bluff above her. My rounds went over/under/to the side. The "unseen wind" was in a ventura. 6mmx284/90NBT Mod 7 24" Shilen Sporter wt. I went around the bluff and popped one at 150yds, ha. I (and they) were very fortunate I didn't wound them. I can't imagine trying to chase one of those goats down in that prairie to finish off, ha. I also "discovered" the wind also "blew me and my rifle" around pretty good! Prone was definitely best, but seldom available. From the sit...a heavier rifle off sticks or bipod works better. The one time I took a Mod 700 Classic/300WM shot off sticks at 347 steps worked swell. But then I felt "overgunned", ha

Last edited:
I have been hunting Asian mountain game for almost 30 years and have successfully killed game in any country that has an open season on the game I hunt. The most important thing is to use a known quality game bullet that you and your rifle shoot ACCURATELY. I have killed many of my game with Barnes, but have also used successfully NoslerAB, and Berger among others. Be prepared to judge your animal for your self as your guides will most often tell you to shoot as soon as a prey is spotted - once an animal is shot they are ready to head to camp, collect their tip and go home. They either have no concept of "trophy" or don't care. Sometimes if you insistent you want to shoot a "grandfather" it helps .... some times. Your interrupter usually stays in camp and the actual guides usually have an English vocabulary of from 5 to 20 words. On one of my Marco Polo hunts the only words my guide could pronounce was "shoot" and "sniper". I would recommend that you tell them that you can only shoot to 300 yds. Even so usually every animal that they see will be "300 yds" In closing go with a accurate load, be prepared for outlandish angles and altitudes, and be willing to say "no" to cries to "shoot". The last MP I shot in Krz-stan I had to say "no" for 6 days until I saw a record book animal. Be able to decide for yourself if the animal is a "good one". In Krz-Stan you will almost for sure ride horses. It will be cold and windy. You usually have to earn your trophy. It is a magnificent hunt. I have hunted there twice and hope to hunt once more with one of my sons before I hang up my hunting boots.

I have been hunting Asian mountain game for almost 30 years and have successfully killed game in any country that has an open season on the game I hunt. The most important thing is to use a known quality game bullet that you and your rifle shoot ACCURATELY. I have killed many of my game with Barnes, but have also used successfully NoslerAB, and Berger among others. Be prepared to judge your animal for your self as your guides will most often tell you to shoot as soon as a prey is spotted - once an animal is shot they are ready to head to camp, collect their tip and go home. They either have no concept of "trophy" or don't care. Sometimes if you insistent you want to shoot a "grandfather" it helps .... some times. Your interrupter usually stays in camp and the actual guides usually have an English vocabulary of from 5 to 20 words. On one of my Marco Polo hunts the only words my guide could pronounce was "shoot" and "sniper". I would recommend that you tell them that you can only shoot to 300 yds. Even so usually every animal that they see will be "300 yds" In closing go with a accurate load, be prepared for outlandish angles and altitudes, and be willing to say "no" to cries to "shoot". The last MP I shot in Krz-stan I had to say "no" for 6 days until I saw a record book animal. Be able to decide for yourself if the animal is a "good one". In Krz-Stan you will almost for sure ride horses. It will be cold and windy. You usually have to earn your trophy. It is a magnificent hunt. I have hunted there twice and hope to hunt once more with one of my sons before I hang up my hunting boots. Good Luck
Been reading lot of your comments about asia for a while and finally became a member of this knowledgeable group.

I have a trip booked in for Kazakhstan for ibex and roe when this virus lets us travel. What is your take on a 270 win with 130gr Barnes TTSX on ibex? Will be keeping my shots within 300m but if i have to stretch it will be no further than 400 meters.

I just returned from Kyrz hunt for a Marco Polo ram. I used a 300WM shooting 185gr Berger Classic Hunter bullets going 3185fps. Elevation was above 14,000'. Killed him with one shoulder shot at 442yds. He dropped in his tracks without a flinch. Could not have been any better.

I'm not a "long range shooter". Most animals I kill are well under 200yds yet sometimes out to 350yds if needed.

Make a solid hit and you will get your game.

I use what I like. I'd use the same combination again for this hunt or Ibex.

The steel ram was three at 550 yards.View attachment 164996 View attachment 164997
That's a beautiful Trophy, Congrats..... Very Jealous

Well, my only ibex experience was a Gredos. A 180 grain Barnes did it's work at about 350 yards. My choice is always either Barnes or Swift A-frame

Attachments

• 02B09982-4C61-42F8-A7FA-D447996FF6D6.jpeg
    02B09982-4C61-42F8-A7FA-D447996FF6D6.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 62
Well, my only ibex experience was a Gredos. A 180 grain Barnes did it's work at about 350 yards. My choice is always either Barnes or Swift A-frame
Lovely Gredos! It is quite positive reading about Barnes and seeing lot of people use them.

A friend just helped me load some 130gr TTSX for my 270 so i will stick to them for my kazakhstan trip. Would have loved the 129LRX but none available in australia.

4 shots at 100m with 54gr of ADI 2209. Not the best grouping but will do me

Attachments

• 20210305_154306.jpg
    20210305_154306.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 57
300wm is more than enough caliber to take a ibex. It's not like you are hunting brown bear!!! Asking a forum what projectile to use is like asking a group of a 1000 guy what truck is better(Ford, Chevy,dodge) ? The most important thing is to use the bullet that shoots the best out of your setup that is a premium bullet and reliable. You will hear good and bad on every singe bullet on the market. My 243 loves federal soft points and kills regularly, my 6.5prc loves Hornady match and kills as well, my 300wm absolutely loves Berger 215 and has taken many animals, most of them didn't take a step, my 338 loves 210 partitions! My point is that you need to find what your gun shoots best, practice a ton, and go kill yourself a nice ibex.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to change your mind. I also shoot that many animals a month or more most months so I have a much broader experience and different criteria when it comes to terminal performance.

Shoot what makes you happy but don't accuse others of being dishonest when they are only trying to give sound advice based on their own experiences.
Secondly I have to ask..... where in the heck do you kill 1-2 animals a day all year long? Not being a smart ***, genuinely curious?

My $.02 for whatever its worth. I would go out on a limb and say ANY bullet recommended here will kill him fine if everything goes right, and you get a good broadside shot and punch both lungs. You will get him every time and be quite happy. However, I'm sure this will be a once in a lifetime adventure and quite expensive to say the least. For me, seems like a situation to start out planning for what will happen if things go south. Assume he won't be in a good position for the shot, but the only one you might get. Assume you misjudge the wind and don't hit him just right. Plan for if things don't go perfectly, because if they do, it just won't matter. Shoot a high BC bullet. Either bonded or mono. The bonded should be at least 20grs heavier than the mono, so something around 180grs for the mono and 200 for the bonded.

I'm hoping that some of you guys using them will pile up a bunch of game with them soon and give us some complete reviews on the TLR. It's a very interesting concept basically reversing the Nosler Partitions' structure and incorporating a boat tail and much Higher BC bullet overall.
Same here, I want to learn more about these & will try to buy some 200's, if that is can be done this year.

300wm is more than enough caliber to take a ibex. It's not like you are hunting brown bear!!! Asking a forum what projectile to use is like asking a group of a 1000 guy what truck is better(Ford, Chevy,dodge) ? The most important thing is to use the bullet that shoots the best out of your setup that is a premium bullet and reliable. You will hear good and bad on every singe bullet on the market. My 243 loves federal soft points and kills regularly, my 6.5prc loves Hornady match and kills as well, my 300wm absolutely loves Berger 215 and has taken many animals, most of them didn't take a step, my 338 loves 210 partitions! My point is that you need to find what your gun shoots best, practice a ton, and go kill yourself a nice ibex.

what hard about that. Everyone knows fords are better. Duh.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.