Which Brake? (7 listed in Brownells)

DixieFreedom

I think I counted about 7 brake options listed in the Bownell catalog. I guess the Vais is a proven doodad, but is there any difference at all? They all brag they are quiet, (right!LOL) and direct the blast and sound away from the shooter, so forth and so on.

Which do you fellers prefer. I have a rem varmint contour in 308 I am thinking of getting a brake for.

Any comments appreciated...

Dixie,
My brother and I both have Vais breaks on our rifles. Mine is a 338 Winchester chambered in a Sporter LT, my brother has his on a 338-8mm Remington chambered in a Winchester action bedded in a Laredo Stock. On the range, the report is no more noticeable than my unbreaked magnums(bystanders is another story, apparently). I can really only speak for my 338 in terms of recoil reduction. With hot 250 grain loads, the gun kicks no more, probably less so than my 7mm Rem with 140's. All in all, I am very pleased with the break, and if I was going to break another gun, Vais would be on the top of my list.

I have 2 300 RUMs and they both have Vais brakes on them, I LIKE EM! Felt recoil shooting 240 SMK's from a 14# rifle is about the equal to shooting my 308 PSS.
I had my neighbor shoot my RUM while I stood beside him and then he shot his 300 Weatherby with a KDF bake while I stood in the same spot. I felt about twice the muzzle blast from the KDF compared to the Vais.
JMHO,
Wayne

I have a Vias on my 338 Ruger M77 It works better than the Boss on my 300 Win. Recoil feels about like a 30-06.as for noise I have alwas used muffs with any braked gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.