Which 338 Lapua Imp bullet

Corvalliscory

If both shoot good out of my 28in barrel 338 Lapua improved, would you guys run the Berger 300gr at .814 bc or the new Hornady ELD 285 at .789 bc? I'm guessing can probably get 3000fps with the 300gr and a healthy load of rl33 and 3050 out of the 285. Rifle isn't quite done yet, so running numbers. I know the ELD is a target bullet, but how do you guys think it'll do on game? There's a lot of target bullets that work great on game.

1 last thing, has anybody here seen or tried the 285 Eld's and will I be able to find any soon? Thanks guys!

I'd lean towards the 300gr Bergers or SMKs until the xld has been proven but that's just me.

Hornady does not have plans anytime soon for 338 ELD X bullet. The only ELD for 338's are ELD M and they are match bullets not intended for hunting.

I sure wish they would make them:cool:

Ray

The 300 SMK is a match bullet 100's of animals been killed with it.A 285 -300 grn. is serious medicine for game unless it is armour piercing type.I have shoot since 2010 Berger 300 hybrid.They use to be marked ''not for hunting"They also have taken 100's of animals.I would find one of those that works for you and use it.Im using 300Berger and have quite few friends using the 300 NAB,Im going to try these also.The 285 Hornady didnt group for me but I didnt work with it much.

My son has a 338x378. That gun with the same load puts both the 300 Berger,
and the 285 Hornady at almost an identicle point of impact at both 100 and 1500 yards with no scope changes. Which to me at least says you should always taste the
pudding before deciding on the one you like.

I'm more than willing to try both. But at this point I have vanilla and like it, but everyone is saying I need to try the new flavor. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.