30-338 lapua imp?

wildchild

I reciently sold my Lawton action that was chambered in a 338 lapua imp and still have the brass. Was pondering a 30-338 imp build being id only have to neck the brass down.
Whats peoples thoughts on this Wildcat and if you have personel experiances please give your insight.
I was comparing balistics to the 338 and if one can shoot the new 225 hornady at around 3300fps there pretty close out to a mile comparing 300 sierras at 2950fps
Im not sure if it'll throw them velocities??
To me the idea of the rounds would be tough to beat??

I think RockyMtnMt shoots that set up, cant remeber bullet he was shooting, but the velocity was ripping, we where bsn at hardware store.

I do shoot it. It is comparable to the 300 rum. Although the brass is much better. Because of the brass it can be pushed harder than the 300 ultra.

I run the 177g HV GS Custom bullets. I am running them at 3680fps with a bc of .638, they simply out run everything else out there for drop and windage.

FWIW, they have the best on game performance of any bullet I have been around, with very little meat damage.

Steve

It is one of the best chamberings I did out of my shop. Excellent cartridge and with the GS bullet the ballistics are amazing. This bullet was not available back in the 90's when I did mine. Or if they were I didn't know about it

I do shoot it. It is comparable to the 300 rum. Although the brass is much better. Because of the brass it can be pushed harder than the 300 ultra.

I run the 177g HV GS Custom bullets. I am running them at 3680fps with a bc of .638, they simply out run everything else out there for drop and windage.

FWIW, they have the best on game performance of any bullet I have been around, with very little meat damage.

Steve

Steve

What twist is your barrel?

Tim

Hello Im new. I currently shoot a custom 300 win mag 28'' Rock Creek amu, accurized Rem 700 La, A5 mc stock and a 5x22 56 nightforce. 72 grains of 4831 sc , win brass and 208 amax gets me 2965 fps. My furthest kill is a gopher at 577 and a magpie at 378 . I shot my White tale 5x4 in the head at 324 . Sorry for the story but what will I gain by going to what you guys are talking about . For some reason I lay awake at night thinking about this 30-338.

Hello Im new. I currently shoot a custom 300 win mag 28'' Rock Creek amu, accurized Rem 700 La, A5 mc stock and a 5x22 56 nightforce. 72 grains of 4831 sc , win brass and 208 amax gets me 2965 fps. My furthest kill is a gopher at 577 and a magpie at 378 . I shot my White tale 5x4 in the head at 324 . Sorry for the story but what will I gain by going to what you guys are talking about . For some reason I lay awake at night thinking about this 30-338.

3-4 hundred ft per second, and brass that is second to none.

Steve

3-4 hundred ft per second, and brass that is second to none.

Steve

To Steve and Long Time Long Ranger. Would I be on the right track with 30'' Rock Creek 1/10 twist , 208 amax and a powder a little slower than 4831 sc or can I stay with the 4831 sc. Any advice would be greatley appreciated.

Joseph.

To Steve and Long Time Long Ranger. Would I be on the right track with 30'' Rock Creek 1/10 twist , 208 amax and a powder a little slower than 4831 sc or can I stay with the 4831 sc. Any advice would be greatley appreciated.

Joseph.

For conventional bullet of the 200g class the twist is fine, but you will need slower powder. Retumbo or US869.

If I were starting over I would look hard into a 9 twist. Will work with the big conventional bullets currently available and current mono metals. Will be ready for what I anticipate to be comming...higher bc bullets.

Steve

For conventional bullet of the 200g class the twist is fine, but you will need slower powder. Retumbo or US869.

If I were starting over I would look hard into a 9 twist. Will work with the big conventional bullets currently available and current mono metals. Will be ready for what I anticipate to be comming...higher bc bullets.

Steve

Steve thank you , the process for brass prep, how hard is that to do.

Joseph.

Steve thank you , the process for brass prep, how hard is that to do.

Joseph.

My chamber has a tight neck so I had to neck turn my brass. If you can, do not get a tight neck. I do not enjoy neck turning brass. Aside from that all that has to be done is run .338 Lap brass through the full length sizer and fire form.

Steve

My chamber has a tight neck so I had to neck turn my brass. If you can, do not get a tight neck. I do not enjoy neck turning brass. Aside from that all that has to be done is run .338 Lap brass through the full length sizer and fire form.

Steve

Steve hope you dont mind another question. What is your barrel length.
Thank you again.

Joseph.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.