338 Lapua Imp

rifletuner

Well guys, after a LONG wait, I finally have my 338 Lapua Improved heavy rifle complete. It uses a BAT action which was originally ordered with left bolt, left port, but has had a right feed port added by my gunsmith. The barrel is a 36" Kreiger, stock is a Mcmillan HBR. The Barrel is epoxy bedded into a chrome molly barrel block, which is epoxied into the stock. Total weight is about 50 pounds.

I have only fired one shot out of this so far, just to verify the fire forming load. I have a heap of neck turning in front of me before I get to fire any more shots! I'll let you know how the development goes.

Fergus

338%20Lapua%20imp.jpg

338%20Lapua%20Imp%202.jpg

Fergus,

It is really a nice gun. Your rifle will be similiar to mine someday. The caliber would be either 338 Tomahawk or 338/416 Rigby Imp. I like 50 cal McMillan HBR stock. The stock (the forend)is very wide (5") and well balanced.

How long did you have to wait? I'm hoping to build one in the spring time. Where do you get red barrel block? Is it 9 inch length and around 2.75" wide? I wondered about the barrel gluing into the block, when the barrel is worn out, can it remove the old barrel or is the barrel stuck with the block forever?
What is the rifle weigh alone? (without plates)

-Denny
338 Tomahawkallthewaay

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Me? 300 Tomahawk :p ]

Denny

I ordered the stock about 18 months back, so I dont know how indicative my wait would be, given circumstances at McMillan may well have changed since then, but I waited about 2-3 months for the stock, not including a week or two for it to ship to Australia.

The barrel block was made by my gunsmith from chrome molley steal he sourced from an automotive supplier who caters to the racing trade. The block is 9.3/4" long and 2" wide. My smith uses a similar process to the way I understand Bruce Baer blocks barrels, that is to epoxy so as to eliminate all stresses on the barrel. To remove the barrel from the block, use heat - the same as removing a BR action from a "glue in" stock.

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.