338 lapua imp

Im building a 338 lapua imp 25" barrel #6 benchmark for a elk/bear hunting rifle mainly but im sure deer also at times. Would you guys try 300 berger eh first in load work or 285 eldm?
There are always going to be varying experiences on any bullet performance. I would be more concerned about barrel twist and your COAL to take advantage of those long, heavy, high BC pills. This is one of the reasons I went with .338 NMI over LMI.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 Thor cut-out 300 Berger 3.7 COAL.jpg

.300 OTM Berger

Last edited:
Never had a bit of trouble with either 300 gr bergers . They both are excellent in the 338 Rum and the 338 Edge I dont have a Papua to test .
I put a 24" 338 Rum together and I'm using the 250 gr bergers at 2997 ft.per.sec and excellent groups. Only one kill so far and it was very close ..bang flop in the neck he only gave me a small window so I took it .
Not sure if your setting the Rifle up for long range or not but my last Bull Elk was at 1244 yards with the 300 gr berger Otm.
He is on the Wall now !

I have been testing the 300 gr Otm and Re-33 in one of my 30 " 338 Edge Rifles . Still in load development but super happy so far . 3/4" group at 3027 ft.per.sec and no seating dept test yet ! I believe I can still go up in charge also . I stopped last fall but the weather is getting nice now time to get back at it !

Rum Man

Never had a bit of trouble with either 300 gr bergers . They both are excellent in the 338 Rum and the 338 Edge I dont have a Papua to test .
I put a 24" 338 Rum together and I'm using the 250 gr bergers at 2997 ft.per.sec and excellent groups. Only one kill so far and it was very close ..bang flop in the neck he only gave me a small window so I took it .
Not sure if your setting the Rifle up for long range or not but my last Bull Elk was at 1244 yards with the 300 gr berger Otm.
He is on the Wall now !

I have been testing the 300 gr Otm and Re-33 in one of my 30 " 338 Edge Rifles . Still in load development but super happy so far . 3/4" group at 3027 ft.per.sec and no seating dept test yet ! I believe I can still go up in charge also . I stopped last fall but the weather is getting nice now time to get back at it !

Rum Man
That's awesome would you pick the 300 elite hunters over the OTM? For hunting this will be a long range rifle. But if i see something up close its going to get shot also lol

Recent Posts