Where would you start with this ladder?

I'm thinking my prochrony is reading about 100 FPS faster than reality. I'll know this afternoon when I get the LabRadar setup. I only have a 200 yard range so the target data will not be as accurate as a longer distance would provide but it will be something to look at. This load is my shorter range hunting load, as I have already worked up my long range load with the 140 gr HVLD's.
Opticals can be sketchy, more than not? The big jump in velocity from, 3074 to 3122, was more the concern.

I don't see see how 8-10 shots, properly planned and executed in fully formed brass, can make a noticable difference in barrel life.
When you shoot big magnums and over-bore cartridges, the 10 shot test should be used always. Been using this form of test since 2012, because I knew my 7STW barrel's life, was near the end and I needed a 180 VLDH load qwik!

I don't see see how 8-10 shots, properly planned and executed in fully formed brass, can make a noticable difference in barrel life.

Because that chart the OP posted has zero useful information on it so yes those 8-10 shots are a waste of barrel life for me.

Work up to pressure, back off to your desired velocity and shoot some groups. If they aren't up to par then try some seating depth adjustments.

Working up loads for a rifle is NOT rocket science, it's actually a very simple process that has gotten beyond overcomplicated by "youtube genius's" and the internet.

I'm thinking my prochrony is reading about 100 FPS faster than reality. I'll know this afternoon when I get the LabRadar setup. I only have a 200 yard range so the target data will not be as accurate as a longer distance would provide but it will be something to look at. This load is my shorter range hunting load, as I have already worked up my long range load with the 140 gr HVLD's.
The trend in powder volume is still the same even if your chrono is off, they are all off some. Its more of a trend tool than an exact measurement. If that mid-way vel flat spot is giving the approx. vel you need and no pressure signs, which I assume is the case since you shot a few more that exceeded I would second the others suggesting trying some groups in that region.

Because that chart the OP posted has zero useful information on it so yes those 8-10 shots are a waste of barrel life for me.

Work up to pressure, back off to your desired velocity and shoot some groups. If they aren't up to par then try some seating depth adjustments.

Working up loads for a rifle is NOT rocket science, it's actually a very simple process that has gotten beyond overcomplicated by "youtube genius's" and the internet.
Yes, you can do it that way, had been the way it was done for a long time. This is faster and it's not complicated.
Breaking it down to it's most simple of forms all is that is needed is an accurate chrono and an aiming point, with the most complicated tool being the chrono.
No reloading with high power cartridges, shouldn't be attempted without a chronograph, unless you've proofed the the load in the past.

That was not a "ladder test", that was a plot of different powder charges while zeroing a scope, per what the OP said. It did not produce anything meaningful, I'll agree. A well planned & executed ladder test will produce valid data and I stand by that. If you use your method to obtain your load, that's great.

I and others feel a ladder does the job just fine for load work-up. There's always tweaking for charge weight and seating depth. The day, I can't spend 10 rounds for data, will be the day I give up shooting.

Ar10ar15man, My understanding is that you shoot to find the flat spots, then you choose the middle of those velocity flat spots and load up say 5 rounds and shoot targets through the chrono. If you find both a validation of a low ES & SD and a respectful group on target, then you fine tune with seating depth, primers, and possibly neck tension from there. I think I have that correct. If not I am very open to correction.

I have the same question as carpetman 2. Why would you go with the loads that were 56.6 to 57.2 instead of the faster load of 57.4 to 58 when the 57.4 to 58 had a flatter velocity spot? I see where the velocity jumped up fast. Is that why?

short range old school , shoot for groups at your zero range

i dont look at that chart as a waste at all , its all data , there is definitely some calm in that storm,

even if your intentions are short range hunting , no reason you cant test to see if it'll be good at long too

id be surprised if you cant load up 24-25 cases in the middle 56.7 - 57.0 range .... load 6 groups of 4 shots or 5 groups of 5 shots all groups seated different between your available depths (.010 off lands or mag max, to book recommended coal ) and shoot em at your intended scope zero, see what happens

Well, my chrono is way off. Today it read anywhere from 12 -31 fps slower than the LabRadar. Two days ago it was reading that much or more faster than the LabRadar. It has to be lighting and maybe the fact that it is 10 feet away verses the LabRadar at 6 inches. Here is the target from today and it looks like 56.8 and oal of 2.492 was tops. I will confirm and if it plays out this will be my short range 300 yards and closer hunting load with 140 gr Partitions. This target was shot at 200 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 107
Here is my Long range load with the HVLD's. I need to confirm this at distance and run it through the LabRadar Chrono. The speed on this sheet cannot be correct. These were shot at 200 yards. The velosity test confirmed this is the accuracy node for both 140 grain bullets, but that was about it. I suppose if you had no idea where to start it would be helpful, but I was pretty sure it would land there because of many of the members on this board had found this node in their 6.5x284's with the 140's. Nice to confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 89
View attachment 120105 Where do you guys think I should focus on?
I think I would try groupings next at 57.6. I don't clearly understand this ladder or it's purpose but you have the best velocity with a decent flat spot between ,57.6 and 57.8. I have only used a ladder in 3 shot groups looking for best consistency while at the same time achieving velocity but most often times you find a peak performance somewhere in between bottom and top.

Here is my Long range load with the HVLD's. I need to confirm this at distance and run it through the LabRadar Chrono. The speed on this sheet cannot be correct. These were shot at 200 yards. The velosity test confirmed this is the accuracy node for both 140 grain bullets, but that was about it. I suppose if you had no idea where to start it would be helpful, but I was pretty sure it would land there because of many of the members on this board had found this node in their 6.5x284's with the 140's. Nice to confirm.

I'll confirm as well. I finally shot my load that I had worked up the other day of 57 grains retumbo. Shot 3008fps and .38" group at 100.

Then shot 455, 639, and 870 for trajectory validation. All hits we're within quarter minute of calculated elevation. I didn't have enough loaded to check groups at distance since I'm waiting on backorder of 140 elites, but my es of 8 should workout well enough for my use.

View attachment 120105 Where do you guys think I should focus on?

I don't know how close you are to max load or how reliable your chrono was (did it move or tilt before the spike in velocity?), but I have seen that same pattern of a plateau followed by a spike in destructive material testing I have done measuring pressure and movement on equipment.

If you think you are at a fairly high pressure, it could be a sign that the brass is starting to flow where you see it level, the spike in velocity afterward could be the flow limit being reached. i.e. brass stretching at the head, neck, or primer pocket excessively.

Just a thought if you are near the high end, if that is the case I would stay at the start of or below the level in velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts