Where would you start with this ladder?

carpetman2

IMG_0928.jpg
Where do you guys think I should focus on?

You've got a great velocity flat spot. Load somewhere in the middle of that 56.6-57.2 area. Then check groups and play with seating depth if the groups aren't good. I sometimes will shoot a second identical ladder to really confirm results too.

I would prefer to see the actual target, the shooting conditions, range and time between shots, but that's just me.

I have plotted a few, just to see if it worked out the same, but gave that up. I don't use that small of increments in a ladder, usually .5-1.0 grains @400. The fine tuning in .2 gr are done with groups @ 400 and then 6-800.

Some shooters use groups at 100, to find a load, and have good luck but it may not hold up at distance. It's one of those things that will finally get you where you want to go, just a different route.

57.6 -57.8 looks nice, but is pretty hot unless you're running a barrel longer than 26". I agree with ShtrRdy, 56.6 -57.2 grs with 5 shot groups for sd & es.

Barrel specs would be nice. I do run Retumbo &140 HVLDs in two 26"
6.5-284s.

I'm wondering if my prochrono is working correctly because the velocities seem a little high. With that being said, I have no extractor marks, no flattened primers although at 58 gr it was slightly more cratered, and the bolt lift was normal through it all. It's a Savage 116 with a 8-1 Shilene 26".

Ar10ar15man, My understanding is that you shoot to find the flat spots, then you choose the middle of those velocity flat spots and load up say 5 rounds and shoot targets through the chrono. If you find both a validation of a low ES & SD and a respectful group on target, then you fine tune with seating depth, primers, and possibly neck tension from there. I think I have that correct. If not I am very open to correction.

Without seeing where your shots hit, I'd start with 3 or 5 shot groups at 56.5, 56.7, 56.9 and 57.1 and see what groups or has the best ES/SD.
Have you done a seating depth test yet?

As already stated, the velocity spread between 56.6 and 57.2 looks good on paper. It is my understanding, and my method, that in a ladder test, I am looking at the actual target and focusing on the vertical dispersion of the individual loads. This determines / shows at which velocity the bullet is leaving the muzzle in tune with the harmonic node. Groups mean nothing at this point. When you find that flat spot, where 3-4 loads are impacting close to each other on the vertical plane, then pick the middle load and start focusing there. Next step would be to start adjusting you seating depth and start to look at actual group sizes. Of course, always be mindful of pressure signs.

Load 10 up @ 57.0 and see what happens. If it looks promising, tweak powder charge and seating depth a tiny bit on each side of that load to see if there's any more magic to be had.

Thanks guys for your input. I will report back as to what I did and how it turns out. I'm also going to use my buddy's new LabRadar as I am curious about my speed being accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts