Would you keep this load?

jmason

Below is a link to the load development data. Beyond 200 yds I'm not getting real good results. It did seem to be ok to 300 yards saturday, but I just went and shot 300yds again and I'm at a depressing loss. I'm wondering if this load is something you guys would have kept. It is in excel. The first tab is the ladder (two inch dot), the second tab (one inch dot) was charge confirmation, and the third tab(one inch dot) was primer swap.

If these were you results would you have kept it or tried a different powder, or bullet?

LOAD DATA LINK

Last edited:
I'd probably play with the seating depth a bit with the G210M and CCI200 primers. The G210M is pretty good and the CCI200 is nearly perfect from a vertical perspective (both are good from an ES perspective).

What is the intended use for the rifle/load?

AJ

The use was woodchucks. I don't really have room to move or the bullets gonna fall out of the case. they are really short. Is it possible for a given load to turn to crap after a given distance?

give us your cartridge, bullet and twist. i'm bettin you'd do much better with a longer bullet but it's hard to advise without all the details.

Dave,

I'm bettin' its a 270 Winnie. That much 4350 would throw flames about 5 feet.

If it is a winnie I'd suggest something more like 4895. But you can't argue with those velocities...

Should I have done my ladder at 300yds? I've loaded up one other cart (diff Rifle) for longer distance and I'm thinking the success I had was just getting lucky the first go around.

Dave,

I'm bettin' its a 270 Winnie. That much 4350 would throw flames about 5 feet.

If it is a winnie I'd suggest something more like 4895. But you can't argue with those velocities...

Roy,

you are correct 270 win. These are 90 gr sierras. This post goes in conjunction with the twist rate post. It's 1:10 twist rate. The charge is just below sierras max in the book. I thought (and still may be the case) this load would hold together better for me at distance. I'm by no means am I Match shooter, but I have trouble beleiving the crappy grouping I get past 200yds is all me. I'm talking about 8" at 300 yards in light wind. I know I'm capable of better than that. I'm trying to understand what could be the cause so I don't do whatever I'm doing here again.

give us your cartridge, bullet and twist. i'm bettin you'd do much better with a longer bullet but it's hard to advise without all the details.

Dave,
I chose this bullet because I have small areas to hunt with about 400 yd max safe range and I wanted bullets that come apart on impact so theres nothing flying off weather it's a hit or miss(again safty).

Last edited:
get some 130 or 140 grain match bullets. i guarantee you it will be more accurate, especially at 3-500 yards.

by the way, where in the heck is Wampum?

get some 130 or 140 grain match bullets. i guarantee you it will be more accurate, especially at 3-500 yards.

by the way, where in the heck is Wampum?

As I type I'm also working on some 135SMKs w/ RL-22 and IMR4831.

Wampum is a couple miles south of New castle(if you know whrer that is). What part of PTY are you in?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.