Where would you start with this ladder?

That was making my eyes hurt, I put it on a spreadsheet right qwik fer ya!
If this was your first test, you should'v use .3-.4 increments? If not, the .2 increments are just fine for narrowing it down.

Attachments

• carpetman2 - Sheet1.pdf
    56.1 KB · Views: 195
I've used the ladder method but find it not as useful or maybe I'm old school! It depends on what you are trying to achieve! Are you developing a long range hunting load where the primary objective is sheer velocity with good accuracy! Are you developing a target load where accuracy is predominant and velocity is just needed for a specific range? Either way, in my development I usually start by working up my velocity first .020 off the lans, work my load backwards until I hit an accuracy sweet spot, then work my COAL toward the lans. If the accuracy falls work the opposite, once you again find the sweet spot in accuracy, I then work the load in 1/10 grain increments. Normally only takes four rounds in this last process two in each direction.

Looks just like my ladder test the other day for my 6.5x284. I'm shooting 140 Berger elites out of a 24" McGowan barrel and my flat spot was right around 57gr retumbo. 56.6 was 2997, 56.8 was 3010, 57 was 3013 and 57.2 was 3005. My coal to bullet tip is 3.150", 15 thou off lands.

If anyone has quick load, I'd love to see where I'm at. I didn't get any pressure signs up to 58g, but 3000+ seems like it's pretty hot out from a 24 tube, so here is the load.

Hornady brass
CCI magnum 250 primers
140 Berger elite Hunter
3.150" coal
57 gr. Retumbo
15 thou off lands of 24" barrel

Everyone that has provided information regarding the Ladder Load Development, they gave me valuable information I did not know I needed in my pursuit into precision reloading. Thank you to all! I did the shooting yesterday ladder test no target that is my next step. Range shooting is very difficult when you have a lot of people shooting trying to get the best groups it whatever you are trying to do for the best load development. Sighting-in mostly with the ladder test. Limited time but I'm retired.

Looks just like my ladder test the other day for my 6.5x284. I'm shooting 140 Berger elites out of a 24" McGowan barrel and my flat spot was right around 57gr retumbo. 56.6 was 2997, 56.8 was 3010, 57 was 3013 and 57.2 was 3005. My coal to bullet tip is 3.150", 15 thou off lands.

If anyone has quick load, I'd love to see where I'm at. I didn't get any pressure signs up to 58g, but 3000+ seems like it's pretty hot out from a 24 tube, so here is the load.

Hornady brass
CCI magnum 250 primers
140 Berger elite Hunter
3.150" coal
57 gr. Retumbo
15 thou off lands of 24" barrel
This sounds about right to me. I'm shooting 140 grain Bergers through a stock Nosler liberty 24 inch barrel at 2975 using 50something grains of rl 22.(at work so I'm going off of my memory). I haven't seen any pressure signs but I'm newer to this whole reloading thing.

I've tried the 6.5 guys method of just looking at flat spots in your velocity and getting low es and sd and it didn't work for me. I had super low es and sd(single digits if I recall) but the grouping was still about 2 moa. I couldn't adjust seating depth because I was at maximum oal that would fit in my mag box. Not saying it doesn't work, just saying it didn't work for me. I'm going to try the "old" method of increasing powder charges and watching how they group, hopefully shoot some good groups, confirm/hope for low es and sd and then fine tune using seating depth adjustments.

Ladder tests look to be a great way to burn up barrel life for little to no useful information.
This is a "10 Round Pressure-Velocity Test". If done precisely and correctly, you'll find the useful velocity you're looking for. Test that velocity. Then you perform you're bullet seating depth test to get your accuracy. Using 3 shot groups for the big magnums or 5 shots for the smaller cases, doesn't use up as much barrel as people are lead to believe!
Barrels are expendable, as the components that are used in them.

Shoot, reload, repeat.

I'm thinking my prochrony is reading about 100 FPS faster than reality. I'll know this afternoon when I get the LabRadar setup. I only have a 200 yard range so the target data will not be as accurate as a longer distance would provide but it will be something to look at. This load is my shorter range hunting load, as I have already worked up my long range load with the 140 gr HVLD's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.