Where is my pressure coming from?

People use 300 gr .375 H&H rounds ( at 2470 fps) to shoot elephants with......and you need this round for elk?

Last edited:
Is your brass trimmed short enough? It could be crimping the bullet when chambered. If you arent trimming after each firing the neck could be getting longer and crimping the bullet more each time.

People use 300 gr .375 H&H rounds ( at 2470 fps) to shoot elephants with......and use need this round for elk?

Why are you even asking? And who said it was only an "elk" gun? So far its a good bear and antelope gun too.

Riley, got the trimming taken care of. Thanks for the suggestion though

I like to use a .22 short myself. Texas heart shot gets the job done. Seriously though...why worry about what he is using if its over kill? I would only be concerned if it was the situation that I just described above which is under kill. If you have noticed..on antelope he shoots them in the neck so he doesn't waste the meat. He is actually wasting less meat with his 375 than anyone else is using their prescribed gun and shooting thm in the shoulder.

Many elephants have been killed with a 7x57. Does that make it too big for elk?

And probably some bunny rabbets have been killed with a 375 H&H. Does that make it too large for bunnies?

I still dont see why some dont just go to a 50 Browning and get it over with...unless of course they wont have anything to brag about or chew the fat over.

There IS such a thing as "overkill" whether some wish to believe it or not and go thru the record books and see how many alaskan brownies were killed with the lowly 30-06. Ya dont HAVE TO try and dispatch animals at 2 miles distance

And probably some bunny rabbets have been killed with a 375 H&H. Does that make it too large for bunnies?

I still dont see why some dont just go to a 50 Browning and get it over with...unless of course they wont have anything to brag about or chew the fat over.

There IS such a thing as "overkill" whether some wish to believe it or not and go thru the record books and see how many alaskan brownies were killed with the lowly 30-06. Ya dont HAVE TO try and dispatch animals at 2 miles distance

Good point, for a minute there I thought we were on a long range hunting forum! Thanks for the reality check....

Explain the concept of "overkill" to me because obviously I don't understand.

Why do big guns **** you off so bad? No body said a 30-06 wouldnt do the job. A 375 is only .067 bigger in diameter. Why does it male a difference. And if you want to shoot rabbits with a 375 i fully support it. I recommend head shots though.. if i ant to kill elk deer and antelope that's my prerogative. There is no such thing as overkill. Im not blowing animals in half... just because you dont have the undercarriage to shoot the big magnums we who do can do so if we so choose.

Why do big guns **** you off so bad? No body said a 30-06 wouldnt do the job. A 375 is only .075 bigger in diameter. Why does it male a difference. And if you want to shoot rabbits with a 375 i fully support it. I recommend head shots though.. if i ant to kill elk deer and antelope that's my prerogative. There is no such thing as overkill. Im not blowing animals in half... just because you dont have the undercarriage to shoot the big magnums we who do can do so if we so choose.

Good point!

I used to work with a guy that the only rifle he had to hunt with was a 375 H&H. He said it was actually less destructive on deer than an 06. If you can use it to good effect then by all means have at her.

The only time I have an issue with folks going to a bigger cal is when they try to use it as a band aid for their lacking marksman ship skills.

Actually I have probably seen more lost meat from a high velocity 6mm than a 338. But in the end I feel meat loss is directly related to bullet placement more so than bullet size. So I will go with Mike here and go for the too dead method.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts