Where is my pressure coming from?

That kind of pressure and load, you need to FL size every time.

You have probably work hardened the brass to the point it is difficult to resize without annealing the cases.

when you start over, try 3 pieces of new brass and FL size every time.

Also your pressure can be coming from the carbon ring in the chamber throat, not the copper. Look for that when you borescope.

People use 300 gr .375 H&H rounds ( at 2470 fps) to shoot elephants with......and you need this round for elk?
the last thing I killed with a 375 H@H was a bunny rabbit, and that was a 235 at 2900 fps out of my last 375 years ago. I haven't hunted my current one enough I guess.

the last thing I killed with a 375 H@H was a bunny rabbit, and that was a 235 at 2900 fps out of my last 375 years ago. I haven't hunted my current one enough I guess.

But thats NOT "overkill". I read it right here so it must be the truth! If it wasnt true they couldnt put it on the internet!!!!!!!

Im contemplating a 50 cal MG round necked down to .40 caliber to launch a 400 grainer at over 4000 fps. That ought to set the grasslands on fire when its touched off!

But thats NOT "overkill". I read it right here so it must be the truth! If it wasnt true they couldnt put it on the internet!!!!!!!

Im contemplating a 50 cal MG round necked down to .40 caliber to launch a 400 grainer at over 4000 fps. That ought to set the grasslands on fire when its touched off!

Ok this is ridiculous ill no longer be acknowledging your existence. Your opinions dont matter and they suck. Not to mention NONE of what you said is relevant to the subject of the thread. If possible id like to see this user banned. It seems to be nothing more than spam.

I'll be frank here. I really don't give a bucket of **** about what you think of what I use for what. It was nearly 20 years ago when "I wacked the rabbit", and I wouldn't do it today. They really aren't worth eating. Cheers and don't spill the bucket.

Last edited:
My load manual says that 95 grains of 4350 is at the max chamber pressure of 62600 psi with a 270 grain bullet , 2930 fps , 24 inch barrel ? So you are still too hot for your gun.
Slight tollerance differences can make one gun able to use more powder than another. You could have a slighly tight chamber , a slightly tight bore and case capacity slighly small , powder batch slighly faster , bullet slighly bigger or harder than some others . Poor extraction cam design can upsett bolt timing making one gun not as good as another at extracting tight cases.
Back off to 94 grains and see if it works better . At max pressures you may have to FL or body size after every firing.

My load manual says that 95 grains of 4350 is at the max chamber pressure of 62600 psi with a 270 grain bullet , 2930 fps , 24 inch barrel ? So you are still too hot for your gun.
Slight tollerance differences can make one gun able to use more powder than another. You could have a slighly tight chamber , a slightly tight bore and case capacity slighly small , powder batch slighly faster , bullet slighly bigger or harder than some others . Poor extraction cam design can upsett bolt timing making one gun not as good as another at extracting tight cases.
Back off to 94 grains and see if it works better . At max pressures you may have to FL or body size after every firing.
+1

Tight barrel and running up against the wall I'd bet.

Little update here. I worked up a load with 104 grains of RL19 and its a whole different rifle. it shoots even better than before, which for a factory remington was already quite good. I am getting 3130FPS and 1/4" groups no pressure signs not a compressed charge although the powder is right up against the bottom of the bullet. I am going to play around with it some more and be sure it is what it seems, but I am pretty sure its my new load.
B23 if you get a chance (and see this) can you run it in QL and tell me what it says I should have for pressure and velocity at a COAL of 3.78?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.