Where in the US do you live?

• West of the Mississippi River

Votes: 1,145 61.2%
  • East of the Mississippi River

Votes: 697 37.3%
  • On the Mississippi River on a houseboat

Votes: 29 1.5%

• Total voters
Elkton, Ohio. 10 minutes from PA 10 mins from WV. I'm not a native flat lander, born and raised in Hermitage, Pa. Better to live in the country in Ohio than the city in Pa though. And the Taxes are stupid in Pa, Not Republik of Kalifornia stupid but not good. One more kid to get into college then wife and I are heading west Wy, Mt, ID:D

Gene

A bit north of Atlanta, Ga. South of the snow line and north of the mosquito line.

Deer, Black Bear, Turkey, Ruffed Grouse, packs of Coyotes, Bob Cats, and Fox.

Currently in Texas, just moved here about two years ago. Before that it was good ol' Arizona.

I live on the outskirts of Fort Worth. As far as the hunting goes, to hunt out in Texas it seems you have to hunt on ranch land or find someone that you know with enough acreage to hunt. It's not like AZ where you can go pick a unit that does not require a draw. Very few and limited gov' land available to "publicly" hunt.

The white tail out here are puny compared to the mule deer in AZ I've seen. Coyotes are easier (more abundant in AZ it seems, though I've called in two out here.) If you get lucky like I did and can hunt some good land for free, then it is pretty nice out here.

The beauty of the desert hunts just can't me matched though. The various terrain you can encounter in one hike in Arizona can be distracting to the hunt and making you wish you brought a Camera to capture the beauty.

Hogs are plentiful out here in spots and are shot quite often. My first month living in Texas we threw a hog on the pit, have yet to eat Javelina from AZ. I am just waiting to get a chance to Elk hunt with my father in Northern AZ. I grew up around Mesa, AZ.

I still believe the biggest deer live in Mississippi after seeing my uncle sending me pictures of his deer after each harvest.

EDIT: Forgot to add this, but I will always love hunting in Arizona, it would be my favorite pick. It has so much to offer that Arizona, along with Colorado are in a league of their own in some regards.

Last edited:
Shanman, thanks for the insights. I always have wondered about the lack of public lands in Texas, sounds like a bummer. I wish Arizona had wild hogs to hunt like Texas though!

I live close to Flagstaff, lots of big game, yotes, varmints, etc and lots of beautiful country and as you know, tons of "public lands" to hunt, although I gotta say each year the USFS becomes more like the Nazi Gestapho with road closures and ridiculous regulations to "protect" the forest from the people. We have the best of both worlds though with high desert hunting AND forested mountain terrain to hunt!