Where does your scent control start?

I'm normally 20 feet off the ground in a stand so don't worry about it with a bow. Long range check the wind.

Start with proper wind use. Scent elimination only scent free soap and no bacon or steaks cooked within 100 miles of me.

I have two ladder stands around most of my bait sites. Playing the wind. Tried everything I could to keep them from smelling me, but after five decades of trying its a waste of time unless the wind is in your favor, you are busted. You can get into the jet stream to avoid their sense of smell, but otherwise nothing else works other than being down wind.

When ya leave Deer Shack, in the morning, got the coffee on and the wood stove going. Take 1/2 a bottle of Tink's 69 and dump that on the top log, in the fire. That chimney goes up about 25 feet and acts just like a big old Vaporizer, when that Tink's 69 turns to steam. If the prevailing winds are out of the Northwest, Bucks, that you've never seen before, will be strolling in from the Southeast sections of the Township.

When ya leave Deer Shack, in the morning, got the coffee on and the wood stove going. Take 1/2 a bottle of Tink's 69 and dump that on the top log, in the fire. That chimney goes up about 25 feet and acts just like a big old Vaporizer, when that Tink's 69 turns to steam. If the prevailing winds are out of the Northwest, Bucks, that you've never seen before, will be strolling in from the Southeast sections of the Township.
You may never be able to live in the cabin again.

I have never smoked as I played football and that cuts your wind and the smell stays with you or so I thought.
Then I met some folks that told me they carry black pepper in their coat pockets and that kills the smoke smell and all animals can't smell them with the black pepper in their pockets and even confuses their smell senses.
You smokers should try it.The guys that told me about it got their deer every year.

My scent control begins and ends with the wind. I also try not to bugger up a spot by putting my ecaller too far from me if I'm using one. I regularly chew on a stand. If they can smell my chew they can already smell me, so wind is the biggest factor.

Also, approaching a stand thinking of the wind plays into the same idea I mentioned.

Scent control for calling coyotes is a waste of time.

They got a better nose than any ungulate out there, and the brain to go behind it.

If you have a coyote "down wind" and he's not turning inside out heading for the territories, something was going on that he wasn't "in" you're wind, or you're blessed with dumb, un-exploited coyotes and are lucky.

After I watched a police K9 demonstration where they put crates in a field and then timed how long it took the K9 to find:

Sweaty guy no scent control, actually strong human scent
Normal guy no scent control
Guy washed and clothes treated with scent control shampoo and detergent, cover spray.

Took the dog about 3 second longer to find the dude with all scent control.

I just air out my clothes the night before, and hunt he wind correctly.
I will spray my face with scent cover to kill food particles in my beard that might be present.
There is an episode of Mythbusters that basically discovered the same thing. Nothing they could do would completely cover their scent, and they went to GREAT lengths to do so. Even extensively washing, then wrapping themselves up in several types of impermeable suits to prevent their scent from leaving beneath the "clothes" and wearing respirators that prevented their breath from escaping the mask.

The blood hounds found them just as easily as their "control" which was no scent masking attempt made at all. It seems that the scent control products are similar to fishing baits, they catch more fishermen than fish.

If im stand hunting I step in the first cow crap patty I see on the way end and climb as high as I can in a tree.

If I'm stalking I play the wind and prayers

My dad keeps all his hunting clothes in sealed bags together and washes with all the stuff and uses all the soaps, I just don't have the patience for it.

Last edited: