Great way to start the day!

What are the chances... Just got this girl at 545 and she was on the trot! Guess its going to be another good day
20200421_062904.jpg

I shot a 44 pounder here that is as red as a red 🦊 fox. I had a calico coyote I almost got on first day of buck season. But he knew where to go and stayed in the grapevines and I had no clean shot for 100 yards of watching him. He stopped one time in that 100 yard stretch. Right behind a big tree. Are they that smart or just that lucky.
Shep

Shep,

Most of the people I have known who were said to be lucky are really just smart. We make our own luck, I think, and coyotes are probably much the same. The ones that like to stand around looking at people don't last long enough to develop much luck.

My buddies in western PA do a coyote shooting competition every year after deer season ( they do the same thing with crows in June ) and they get a few really big ones. They haven't said much to me about odd-colored coyotes - just big bruisers. One guy shot a female that weighed 66 pounds, and it wasn't the biggest one they got. Another guy I was deer hunting with, in northwestern Minnesota, shot one that was mostly black. It had the reddish legs & chest that are common, but the body was black with a sprinkling of individual silvery hairs throughout. ( It wasn't really big - a standard 30-pounder.) Can't remember if it was male or female.

The one you shot that was red like a fox must have been a handsonme animal. Did you keep the pelt ? That is also a pretty big 'yote - is that a common size in your neck of the woods ?

Nick

Man you're on a roll! Keep that going as long as you can for sure. I was taught humility at an early age but you obviously have a very good skill set regardless of luck. Luck may have put you in right spot at the right time but YOU did the rest. Awesome job!

I live in western PA and the coyotes are pretty big here compared to the ones in Texas I grew up hunting. I would say 35 to 40 pounds is what I see guys getting mostly. I know there have been some big ones shot in PA and Ohio. I don't know why our coyotes are bigger. But dang are they hard to get. First off there isn't nearly as many here as there are out west and our terrain makes it harder too. Calling them in the woods is way harder than out in the open. They probably circle around us and wind us before we can even see them.
I consider them a better trophy than a 140 class buck around here.
As fare as the hide goes my friend mounted the head on a pedestal mount. If I get the black one he's getting full body mounted.
Shep

Man is she blonde. You know they say there will be 77% fewer blondes on earth in the next 4 weeks. I have a solid black coyote I'm after at my property. Got pics but no visual. Coyotes in PA are not the easiest to hunt for.
Shep
Dang those are some healthy dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.