Where did your 338LM max w/ Retumbo?

varmintH8R

Going to do a work-up to determine max charge for my 338LM using Retumbo. I'm shooting 300SMKs at about 40thou jump. There are major variations in published load data: Hodgdon is 94gr max, Lyman is 88max, Berger (for 300 OTMs) lists 89.5. I'm going to work up slow but was wondering where others started to see pressure signs?

I ran up to 94 grains of Retumbo in my Remington with the Sierra 300 gr. SMKs but it was too hot. I ended up using 91.5 gr. H1000 for the best accuracy.

I still have not been able to shoot this load as elk cow bow was this past week.... I will try to shoot it this week.
Mario

I still have not been able to shoot this load as elk cow bow was this past week.... I will try to shoot it this week.
Mario

That's a great excuse! Put one down?

Thanks for following up and let me know what you find out. I'm hoping to run my work-ups sometime late next week and will post back also.

No!!! I never got close. Saw 4 NICE bulls. One a 380 or so but didn't have a bull tag so got to watch them walk by.

I have 94 to 95 in .2 gr increments. I'll try 94 and see how my gun likes it. If any signs, I'll be pulling bullets and going down

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.