Where are the powder and primers?

Here in North Texas it's coming out in dribs and drabs. I've started randomly hitting the gun store and my area and I can find what I'm looking for, to some extent, but not in the quantities that I'm used to buying. Prices are up 25 to 50% higher and you are limited to what you can buy.

As far as being wrong about the hundreds of thousands of rounds in basements, I am not wrong. There are real ammo hoarders in our area. It makes me sick. It's not illegal though, so they keep stockpiling.

The problem with powder sales on here is the local pickup. Yes, it's for sale....in montana....I live in wisconsin.

Rifle primers, including magnum all out of stock at Midway, Brownells, Ballistic Products, Graf & Son, and others. It's a Plandemic!!!
They have had more in stock this past week than at about any time in the past year and a half.

You just have to get them while they are available. Many retailers and on-line sources have been actively stocking and selling a tremendous amount of primers this past month. They just don't sit there for days anymore. One has to check fairly frequently and be prepared to purchase immediately, but, they are out there.

We also are our own worst enemy as some are paying the *** high prices of components and retailers are getting away with it. Why would they reduce their prices when some *** clown will empty a shelf of primers for 175.00 a brick just to flip them on GB. I was lucky enough to find primers 3 different days last week on Midway and order 3 bricks for 77 ea.
I understand the fear of not being able to reload but this has to end at some point.
Best of luck to all of you reloaders truly just trying to enjoy our hobby.

As far as being wrong about the hundreds of thousands of rounds in basements, I am not wrong. There are real ammo hoarders in our area. It makes me sick. It's not illegal though, so they keep stockpiling.

The problem with powder sales on here is the local pickup. Yes, it's for sale....in montana....I live in wisconsin.
GEEZ, that is just an example. I know members in KY too that are doing the same. It would help if you built your own network in Wisconsin. Stop worrying about the hoarders in your area and concentrate on those willing and able to help you. Start with a post of what you actually need. As I said, plenty of good folks here are willing and able to help; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

I met an LRH member in my town when I bought a brick of primers from him ~a month or so ago. He is retired, and he offered to monitor the ads/web of items that I am looking for.

In addition, I have an LRH friend from a non-CONUS that we became very close and considered him like a Brother, that sent me hundreds of bullets for free to try without me asking.

Last edited:
Because you don't have a TRUDEAU trying to grab your guns( that's too open) all your powder and bullets are being shipped to Canada so you can be controlled SILENTLY! 🤣

I can't find a single person who has been able to find powder or primers. Where are they really going?
Why are non of the component companies adding tooling to make more?
I am trying to find just one blinking pound of powder, and there is nothing anywhere. Everyone says it has been weeks/months since a shipment and they have no idea when more will arrive.

I just want to know if anyone has a straight answer, because this is stupid. Some one must have a basement/warehouse full of powder, or something crooked is going on...
Bruno's has some powders listed. Primers are scarce.

What PO's me is the places that "charge what the market will bear". Was in a hardware store the other day and they had a couple of bricks of 22lr. Price was $74.99!
Thanks anyway.

That's the way it works with everything in a free market system. If we keep our $$$$ in your pocket, the prices will come down. If somebody else just buys the item at the inflated price, the prices will stay up. At some point, everybody will have "enough" and the bubble will burst, and the vendors who have milked this thing will have to sit on the supply.

Simple supply and demand. Supply is the same as ever from the stand point of production. As ammo demand drops the primer market will get more of the excess production. Beyond that it's an issue of demand, people buying more than they need out of fear. From my local shelves, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The longer it sits the sooner the prices drop. If everyone is shopping for the 2025 hunting season or the end of the world, then this continues.

Simple supply and demand. Supply is the same as ever from the stand point of production. As ammo demand drops the primer market will get more of the excess production. Beyond that it's an issue of demand, people buying more than they need out of fear. From my local shelves, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The longer it sits the sooner the prices drop.

BINGO. When demand outruns supply, prices skyrocket. It will all come back into balance at some point. The ammunition manufacturers get first dibs on components, and with all the new gun owners out there, demand for loaded ammo is huge. I have read that with Remington's ammunition plant running again, ammunition supply is starting to catch up somewhat. The range safety officer at our rifle club just told me that with the withdrawal from Afghanistan, the government has terminated some contracts with Winchester for loaded ammo, and their production for the civilian market should increase. That's just one manufacturer who had big government contracts to satisfy, and we should start seeing more of this soon. Handloaders are last on the list, in the supply chain, and the new gun owners typically don't load their own. Once they all figure out that they don't need to have a whole pallet of factory-loaded ammo for every gun they just bought, ammunition will begin to pile up on gun store shelves and the next thing we'll see will be components in normal supply levels - and normal prices.

Recent Posts