When did the old Corelokt PSP/Interlock/Super-X style bullets quit being effective?

Yep. Exactly my point. Better technology has improved things all around for hunting and shooting, bullets included.

Your are correct in that regard!

However, we are saying that you didn't have to load "target" bullets 40 /50 years ago to get sub 1" groups with factory rifles. 1" groups may have been rare with factory ammo……not that difficult with handloads and hunting bullets in many rifles! memtb

Every rifle you just mentioned was shooting highly specific bullets and handloaded or was a competition rifle not a $300 and $400 off the shelf budget gun. You make my point for me. "With my handloads" "NM, Palma, BR" "Sierra 168's and 155 Palmas". None of what you mention is standard hunting bullets or rifles. A Remington 700 has always cost double or triple what the inflation adjusted price of the new budget guns cost yet on average the new budget guns shoot much better than most 700s ever did with factory ammo. Why? Technology, new and different automated manufacturing techniques created more accurate barrels on average than before. This is not hyperbole, it's fact and documented numerous places. For everyone of your "several" old 700s that shot a 1/2" group, 15 of them couldn't shoot an inch. That's still true today, for the most part, for an off the shelf 700.
You must have missed the parts about Sierra, Speer, Hornady, etc hunting and varmint bullets, and most of those rifles I listed were"off the shelf" hunting and varmint rifles. Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, FN's, Weatherbys, Rugers, etc. Sure back in the stone age, just like today, we handloaded to squeeze the most out of our rifles, but we saw many rifles perform very well with several factory loads. (The old Federal Premium line comes to mind along with a couple of others.)

Why do some people think before 20 or so years ago people never had nor shot anything accurate nor at LR/ELR? As for the "$300 and $400" of the shelf budget guns, some of those old rifles were $99-$149. Of course, those were different days.

Last edited:
Your are correct in that regard!

However, we are saying that you didn't have to load "target" bullets 40 /50 years ago to get sub 1" groups with factory rifles. 1" groups may have been rare with factory ammo……not that difficult with handloads and hunting bullets in many rifles! memtb
I think you should qualify that with "some factory rifles" and generally the exception and not the rule. I distinctly remember the first time, many years ago, a group of guys bragging on their handloads with their 700s watched me shoot 1/2" groups out of no less than three different Swiss military rifles when none of their 700s would do it. I understand I am talking to a group of experienced handloading competitive shooters and not your average hunters. Average hunters aren't on the long range forum. Average hunters 40 to 50 years ago were lucky to achieve 2" inch groups. Most my fathers age, passed Feb. at 90 yrs, were more than happy to hit the proverbial pie plate at 100 yards and went hunting. The truth is and has always been consistent MOA groups from factory rifles is difficult to chase and was much harder 40 to 50 years ago when technology just wasn't as good. I am baffled that is seems the lot that are responding to me seem to say that every factory rifle 40 to 50 years ago shot MOA groups all the time. It's just not true now and especially then. Check out this article. You guys can argue with me but you're making claims that experts don't agree with. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/how-accurate-are-today-s-rifles/

I think you should qualify that with "some factory rifles" and generally the exception and not the rule. I distinctly remember the first time, many years ago, a group of guys bragging on their handloads with their 700s watched me shoot 1/2" groups out of no less than three different Swiss military rifles when none of their 700s would do it. I understand I am talking to a group of experienced handloading competitive shooters and not your average hunters. Average hunters aren't on the long range forum. Average hunters 40 to 50 years ago were lucky to achieve 2" inch groups. Most my fathers age, passed Feb. at 90 yrs, were more than happy to hit the proverbial pie plate at 100 yards and went hunting. The truth is and has always been consistent MOA groups from factory rifles is difficult to chase and was much harder 40 to 50 years ago when technology just wasn't as good. I am baffled that is seems the lot that are responding to me seem to say that every factory rifle 40 to 50 years ago shot MOA groups all the time. It's just not true now and especially then. Check out this article. You guys can argue with me but you're making claims that experts don't agree with. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/how-accurate-are-today-s-rifles/
OK, you made some "assumptions" about comments that after reading multiple times, I do not see anyone made. NO ONE stated every factory rifle was an MOA shooter, and that is no different than today. HOWEVER, many rifles from decades ago were capable of far better performance than MOST shooters were capable of shooting. No different than today.

I have purchased my fair share of used rifles that people thought were junk, because they could not get them to group well with their choice of factory ammo. After proper cleaning, handloading and maybe a trigger tweek or so, they were fine to sometimes excellent shooters. Like any sport, there are those who perform at different levels.

We all agree some of the modern tech has improved the shooting sport, and it was people like many of us who drove and drive those "improvements". As an old bullet swager and high level comp shooter, I understand this all too well. However, things were not nearly as bad decades ago as some people today think they were. Even with the many advances in tech, several of the old shooting records from decades ago still stand today.

For me it's not about effectiveness but more about performance. I've had way too much meat over the years wasted due to being just blood jelly. Shot a deer about 7 years ago right through the hips with a copper bullet (running shot, sometimes due to hunting style that is the shot we get, and I'm not the best at them). What would have normally trashed 1/3 of the meat was a nice clean little hole with a few bone chips.

Niece shot a buck a couple years ago through front shoulders with a plain ole 243 kore lokt. Threw the whole front end away... Never seen damage like that from a 243.

Long story short, coppers just do what I want without the bloodshot meat.

I will say that I haven't been impressed with blood trails (rather, non-existent blood trails) with GMX bullets. The deer are always dead nearby but finding them can be a bit tough. Hoping the Hammers give me better trails.

I'm wary of them reliably opening at 1800. My guess would be it's a little higher than that.

I still use them for whitetails sub ~250 with box ammo sometimes

Bc is pretty meh and they aren't very cheap so it doesn't make sense for handloading when I can get an eldx or a tmk(which is essentially a tipped version of a game king) for under 40cpr

OK, you made some "assumptions" about comments that after reading multiple times, I do not see anyone made. NO ONE stated every factory rifle was an MOA shooter, and that is no different than today. HOWEVER, many rifles from decades ago were capable of far better performance than MOST shooters were capable of shooting. No different than today.

I have purchased my fair share of used rifles that people thought were junk, because they could not get them to group well with their choice of factory ammo. After proper cleaning, handloading and maybe a trigger tweek or so, they were fine to sometimes excellent shooters. Like any sport, there are those who perform at different levels.

We all agree some of the modern tech has improved the shooting sport, and it was people like many of us who drove and drive those "improvements". As an old bullet swager and high level comp shooter, I understand this all too well. However, things were not nearly as bad decades ago as some people today think they were. Even with the many advances in tech, several of the old shooting records from decades ago still stand today.
I'm not meaning to offend. I'm sorry you seem to take it that way. But, the question was when did the particular bullets quit being effective. I think he meant, when were they superseded by superior technology and the answer remains, at least 25 years ago. As you mention, much has changed and driven improvements. Me and many others thank you and others for driving that change. Guns and ammo are worlds better, as the article I linked to above agrees, than they were just 23 years ago. They continue to improve at a rapid pace. I'm astonished that you can buy a $299.99 Palmetto State Armory ar-15 kit, put it together on a $40 lower receiver, and probably shoot 1.5" or less groups with Russian Wolf ammo. I've seen it numerous times and I hate PSA. You just couldn't do that in the 90's with an off the shelf AR and cheap ammo. You can "fix" a Ruger American trigger to a decent 2 pound pull with a bic pen spring. Just crazy. 20 years ago you spent over a $100 for a good trigger and simply hoped it was good and wasted boxes of ammo getting it right. I love my M1A but it hardly compares to my SCAR H or Tavor 7. It's boat anchor compared to either one. It's heavier, slower, less accurate, less ergonomic, less reliable, and nearly impossible to customize. The point is that technology has improved shooting massively since those bullets were the norm. You can use them but they certainly aren't the best to use.

I find this compelling from a Meateater article.

"If all you have is a box of Remington Core-Lokt, and you get a chance to go elk hunting, go elk hunting," he said. "But if you have a chance to think through the best bullet…the last thing you want to go cheap on is your ammo because that's what does all the work."

Quote: not that difficult with handloads and hunting bullets in many rifles! memtb

Please observe the quote above! This was copy/pasted from the very last line of my response to you! The 3rd word from the end is "many" …..not all or every!

You yourself stated that many "average" hunters were lucky to achieve 2" groups. Using your own words …….you stated "hunters" not "shooters"! The shooter's inability to shoot better than 2" …..is not a reflection upon the potential accuracy of the rifle! memtb

Quote: not that difficult with handloads and hunting bullets in many rifles! memtb

Please observe the quote above! This was copy/pasted from the very last line of my response to you! The 3rd word from the end is "many" …..not all or every!

You yourself stated that many "average" hunters were lucky to achieve 2" groups. Using your own words …….you stated "hunters" not "shooters"! The shooter's inability to shoot better than 2" …..is not a reflection upon the potential accuracy of the rifle! memtb
I relent and agree. The experts I quoted don't know what they are talking about and guns and bullets were better 40 and 50 years ago. I had Subway for lunch and it was good. Tomorrow I think I'll have McDonald's.

Recent Posts