The allure of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 160gr Interlock.

usmcm16a2

Folks,

I do not know what my obsession with the 160gr Interlock roundnose is. I love loading with this bullet. I use Hornady virgin brass, 36.5gr of RL15 or 41.0gr of Win 760. CCI 200 or #34 primers large rifle.
I load the bullets to 2.740, and using my Magneto Speed Chrono have tracked them at 2449fps(RL15), and 2509fps (Win 760) respectively. Accuracy is incredible!!!!!. This last Sunday at 100yds, I shot a 3 shot group that was .38 inches!!
I cannot use the bullet in California for hunting, but I want to hunt Kentucky next fall. At 300 yards the bullet, still carries about 989 ft/lbs, so out to 300 I could take a whitetail. I have shot the Interlock out to 400, and it really smacks the steel. anyway, signing out A2

I know how an obsession is with a cartridge and bullet combination .

But I am seriously wondering why you would not go with a good 130-143 grain high BC bullet like a Berger HVLD, Hornady ELD-X, Sierra SMK, Nosler ABLR, etc., push then at 2850+ for a much flatter trajectory with higher energy and probably better accuracy? The 6.5mm family is known and loved for high BC bullets. If you want a true heavy, look at the 160 Matrix.

.38" is a great group, but I bet the gun would do even better with the above mentioned bullets. I bet it would greatly extend your effective range as well.

My 14 year old daughter just used my 6.5 SLR (similar in ballistics to the 6.5 Creed/.260 Rem) to cleanly take a big muley at 637 yards with a single shot using a 127 Barnes LRX started at 3000+ fps. The area we were hunting requests the use of non-lead ammo to help with the California Condor re-introduction. In the conditions we were hunting in, the bullet was carrying approximately 1175 ft/lbs of energy still at 2050fps upon impact and it was still a pass through with a 1.5" exit hole after hitting the front shoulder blades, top of lungs and spine. My rifle shoots these bullets into a 5 shot group of .5" @ 200 yards. I normally use the 140 Berger HVLD @ 2900+ that shoots in the .1-.2 range in both my 6.5 SLR and my .260 Rem.

I agree with the above post. I shoot 130 Bergers in my 6.5X47. Very accurate and would give you more of a extended range. Drive a 130 at 3000 fps. Run the numbers I think you will be impressed.

Lance,Beeman,

Good to hear from you guys. I would use the 160gr Interlock with 350-375 yards. It is still packing about 1100ftlbs of energy. For the Condor zone I use the 127gr LRX.
I am working with an innovative new bullet from a company call ed Cavity Back. The bullet is an all copper high G1 BC .505 that carries quite a whallop out to 700 yards. The bullet weights 118gr, features cavity at the base of the bullet, that adds for extra powder. In addition adds to aerodynamic stability. A2

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.