When did the old Corelokt PSP/Interlock/Super-X style bullets quit being effective?

Darryle

I will admit that I bailed on the old soft pointed bullets at some point for boutique style tipped/hollow point bullets with shiny nickel brass and fancy names. I just can't recall why. Last 5 deer in shot dropped in their tracks with a well placed shot with minimal damage. Distances were from 70ish yards up to 300yds. Bullets usually had a small entry and the exit if there was one was about the size of your thumb. I know these style bullets will not work for the majority of this forum strictly because they have the BC of an ACME brick.

I just went thru some of my ammo crates after the bullet construction thread. My comments made me pause and seriously recall why I quit using the pointed soft point ammo. I stopped looking when my back started hurting from moving them out of the closet to the center of the bedroom.

223/5.56 ammo crate was filled with several thousand rounds of various brands of FMJ/Tipped/BTHP/Fusion soft points. Some are specific purpose ammo, Fusions were great for around the house and chicken coop, even killed some big pigs with them up close, 50ish yards.

243 ironically was filled with nothing but pointed soft point 100gr stuff.

6.5 Grendel was Nosler Ballistic Tips cause they flat kill and there's no tracking, but they are not meat friendly.

6.5 Creedmoor was a mishmash of almost 3000rds of stuff usually purchased from members of various forums. Accubonds, Partions, Berger Hybrid Hunters, Elite Hunters, Terminal Ascent, BTHP, FMJ, LRX, and 1000rds of 131gr S&B Pointed soft points.

6.5 PRC is new to me so I only have 200rds each of Nosler Accubonds and Berger 156gr EOL ammo.

280 Ackley was Accubonds, Partions and handloaded Berger VLD-Hs.

The bullets I have used of these newer style concepts have all killed deer effectively and efficiently. I am a meat hunter, so I don't like wasting/losing meat to excessive damage. I was raised by my grandparents so everything we ate came from the woods or we raised it in the garden or pigs, chickens and cows.

We get 5 tags here in Texas and other than the occasional cull, I try to shoot does, more of them and they don't get the pressure bucks do. I am also not above taking a headshot in the perfect scenario, but that takes an alignment of the stars. The caveat is, a big doe is 120lbs hanging dressed out, they are rare on our lease, most are 95ish - 105ish pounds. We hunt over corn feeders, there is usually a kiddo tagging along or doing the shooting.

I rambled thru that to ponder the question, when did our parents and grandparents bullets quit being effective?

I am going to shoot the first doe of the season with the S&B 131gr pointed soft point, then possibly all 5 of them. They are consistent velocity wise and they are plenty accurate enough, plus they are super cheap, less than a $1 a pop. The box stated 2740fps from a weird 21 1/2" barrel IIRC, but I routinely saw 2830 to 2855, the 20shot velocity average was 2837fps out of a 24" Proof Sendero Light. Their stated G1 is .389 and the G7 was .195. The longest shot to one of the feeders is a hair over 300yds, so I think with the smaller stature of our deer, these will be a great choice. I am curious about the wound cavity. I shot a couple of biggish sows at the farm in the 180-200lb range, but didn't cut them open, one took a couple of steps and never twitched, the other fell in her tracks and did the curly shuffle and I stuck another one under the chin to shorten any suffering.

Thoughts, recommendations, any potential issues I am not seeing? If not, then a range trip to get more data with the Labradar, verify the data at the 200yd station and then verify at the farm at 300yds and 400yds. If I did my math right, 400yds is on the edge of the 1800fps minimum threshold for expansion, although I have not found a recommendation for minimum expansion velocity for these bullets. At the lease, 250yds will be the maximum yardage I attempt a shot and it will be the high CNS shot.

I am not in the same situation as most here, 400yds is a long poke. Most of my deer are shot off of feeders at 160yds, 220yds and 250yds but I have shot Antelope and deer in excess of 700yds, with a 240 Weatherby and a 257 Weatherby, my only bull elk was about 160yds with a 300 Weatherby. The cows I shot were anywhere from 60yds to 250ish. Lots of pigs out to 450yds, a few at close to 500yds and coyotes up to 700ish yds when I did nuisance control for the county.

***Edit***
My math was wrong, two different ballistic calculators put the 1800fps between 450 and 475, but that will be well beyond my goals.

Last edited:
I rambled thru that to ponder the question, when did our parents and grandparents bullets quit being effective?

They never quit being effective. They merely got supplanted by newer designs, higher BCs and solids requiring faster twist rates, longer FB and throats.

0-300 yards is perfect for the cup and core soft point bullets. The kiddo won't know the difference, neither will the deer!

Enjoy the experience!

:)

I will admit that I bailed on the old soft pointed bullets at some point for boutique style tipped/hollow point bullets with shiny nickel brass and fancy names. I just can't recall why. Last 5 deer in shot dropped in their tracks with a well placed shot with minimal damage. Distances were from 70ish yards up to 300yds. Bullets usually had a small entry and the exit if there was one was about the size of your thumb. I know these style bullets will not work for the majority of this forum strictly because they have the BC of an ACME brick.

I just went thru some of my ammo crates after the bullet construction thread. My comments made me pause and seriously recall why I quit using the pointed soft point ammo. I stopped looking when my back started hurting from moving them out of the closet to the center of the bedroom.

223/5.56 ammo crate was filled with several thousand rounds of various brands of FMJ/Tipped/BTHP/Fusion soft points. Some are specific purpose ammo, Fusions were great for around the house and chicken coop, even killed some big pigs with them up close, 50ish yards.

243 ironically was filled with nothing but pointed soft point 100gr stuff.

6.5 Grendel was Nosler Ballistic Tips cause they flat kill and there's no tracking, but they are not meat friendly.

6.5 Creedmoor was a mishmash of almost 3000rds of stuff usually purchased from members of various forums. Accubonds, Partions, Berger Hybrid Hunters, Elite Hunters, Terminal Ascent, BTHP, FMJ, LRX, and 1000rds of 131gr S&B Pointed soft points.

6.5 PRC is new to me so I only have 200rds each of Nosler Accubonds and Berger 156gr EOL ammo.

280 Ackley was Accubonds, Partions and handloaded Berger VLD-Hs.

The bullets I have used of these newer style concepts have all killed deer effectively and efficiently. I am a meat hunter, so I don't like wasting/losing meat to excessive damage. I was raised by my grandparents so everything we ate came from the woods or we raised it in the garden or pigs, chickens and cows.

We get 5 tags here in Texas and other than the occasional cull, I try to shoot does, more of them and they don't get the pressure bucks do. I am also not above taking a headshot in the perfect scenario, but that takes an alignment of the stars. The caveat is, a big doe is 120lbs hanging dressed out, they are rare on our lease, most are 95ish - 105ish pounds. We hunt over corn feeders, there is usually a kiddo tagging along or doing the shooting.

I am going to shoot the first doe of the season with the S&B 131gr pointed soft point, then possibly all 5 of them. They are consistent velocity wise and they are plenty accurate enough, plus they are super cheap, less than a $1 a pop. The box stated 2740fps from a weird 21 1/2" barrel IIRC, but I routinely saw 2830 to 2855, the 20shot velocity average was 2837fps out of a 24" Proof Sendero Light. Their stated G1 is .389 and the G7 was .195. The longest shot to one of the feeders is a hair over 300yds, so I think with the smaller stature of our deer, these will be a great choice. I am curious about the wound cavity. I shot a couple of biggish sows at the farm in the 180-200lb range, but didn't cut them open, one took a couple of steps and never twitched, the other fell in her tracks and did the curly shuffle and I stuck another one under the chin to shorten any suffering.

Thoughts, recommendations, any potential issues I am not seeing? If not, then a range trip to get more data with the Labradar, verify the data at the 200yd station and then verify at the farm at 300yds and 400yds. If I did my math right, 400yds is on the edge of the 1800fps minimum threshold for expansion, although I have not found a recommendation for minimum expansion velocity for these bullets. At the lease, 250yds will be the maximum yardage I attempt a shot and it will be the high CNS shot.

I am not in the same situation as most here, 400yds is a long poke. Most of my deer are shot off of feeders at 160yds, 220yds and 250yds but I have shot Antelope and deer in excess of 700yds, with a 240 Weatherby and a 257 Weatherby, my only bull elk was about 160yds with a 300 Weatherby. The cows I shot were anywhere from 60yds to 250ish. Lots of pigs out to 450yds, a few at close to 500yds and coyotes up to 700ish yds when I did nuisance control for the county.

***Edit***
My math was wrong, two different ballistic calculators put the 1800fps between 450 and 475, but that will be well beyond my goals.
I know they are still very effective. If I am going to the trouble of reloading, I am going to use a premium "to me" bullet. There was one father/son hunt during the Obama years, when I could only get a box of Accubonds and a Box of Partitions (.308/200 grains). I laoded the AB fro my son and the Partitions for me, and we harvested 7 annimals each.
For the type of harvesting we are doing most of the time here in Texas, I have often used factory corelokt or powerpoints. If I am going to let someone else use my rifle, I will make sure they use factory ammunition, Remington/Winchester/Federal. They all have been effective.

P.S. When the ***T his the fan, I am moving up there next to you. I know you'll have ammo for any of my boomsticks.

Last edited:
For me, they never stopped being effective as they have been for many decades. Sure, I use a lot of the more modern bullets with higher BC's, monos, etc, but I also still use a fair amount of my old PSP's, BT's, HP's, etc.

I have taken a fair amount of game at SR and LR with "old style" bullets, and they work just as well today as they did 40-50 years ago. The Core Lokt bullets and similar styles are still in my old supplies, but they are typically used in shorter range or fire-form loads. I miss the days when I could buy these in 500rd cardboard bulk boxes for about $5/100.

Last edited:
I love the basic soft points especially in heavier weights at moderate to slow cartridges. I opt for them in my 8mm Mauser not only because they're affordable and it's not a long range rifle, but because for the ranges it might be used at at the impact velocities it generates I do not believe there is any need for "premium bullets" - whether stouter or of higher bc, and in fact I think a lot of premiums WOULDNT be as deadly as a nice soft easy mushrooming bullet like the ppu 196 soft point.

I've taken more deer with 270 win using Winchester super x power point before I hand loaded and hornady interlocks after I started handloading than any other cartridge.

They can be wonderfully simple and easy to work with.

THAT BEING SAID….I also love trying so many different things! Besides ordinary soft points I presently have loads developed or waiting for development in 7 different cartridges using hammer hunters, absolute hammers, Barnes tsx, Barnes tac-tx, Barnes x, woodleigh weldcores, Nosler ballistic tip, hornady eld m, Sierra matchking, Sierra TMK, federal trophy bonded tips, swift sciroccos, swift a frames, Berger hunting VLDs, Hawk bullets (which really are just soft points but with pure copper and lead, not gilding metal and alloyed lead…all at once softer AND tougher or at least less frangible) and perhaps one or two others I'm forgetting. I know I don't "need" any of them but I find it satisfying to put together the most capable rounds possible, not just what works.

One could ask, of these soft points and smokeless powders when they first came out,

"When did soft lead at 1100 fps stop being able to kill things?"

Of magnum cartridges

"Didn't our fathers kill everything on God's green earth with .30-30s, .303s, .300 savage, and .30-06? Were the animals just easier to kill then?"

Or

"When did animals and enemies become immune to a good old lead round ball?"

Of rifled barrels…

"Do you really NEED a gyroscopically stabilized long bullet to kill something?"

Of guns in general…

"When did arrows start just bouncing off things?"

Of arrows…

"What ever happened to throwing rocks or bashing your opponent over the head with a big stick like we did in the good old days?" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Basic soft points are no less deadly than they've been…same goes for rocks and big sticks used correctly 😁

But we're always after the best possible performance even where it's totally redundant and not needed. A Honda civic gets you from point a to point b just like whatever your dream car could….

They never quit being effective. They merely got supplanted by newer designs, higher BCs and solids requiring faster twist rates, longer FB and throats.

0-300 yards is perfect for the cup and core soft point bullets. The kiddo won't know the difference, neither will the deer!

Enjoy the experience!

:)
This!

It starred when if you....
Didn't spend $5000+ on your rifle and another $3000+ on optics (notice we can't call them scoped anymore?) With carbon wrapped barrels and some kind of " tactical sniper" chassis ( again, they are not stocks).
If you don't shoot the latest best ever cartridge of the day with both a muzzle brake amd suppressor or have spotting scopes rivalingthr hubble telescope, wind calculator, barometric indicator, while only taking shots over a 1000 yards so you can brag, dress in camo like you are a Vietnam sniper soaked in deer urine or scent eliminator so you won't be detected from 10000 yards.....and wildlife starred wearing body armor. That's when....

Last edited:
It starred when if you....
Didn't spend $5000+ on your rifle and another $3000+ on optics (notice we can't call them scoped anymore?) With carbon wrapped barrels and some kind of " tactical sniper" chassis ( again, they are not stocks).
If you don't shoot the latest best ever cartridge of the day with bith a muzzle brake amd suppressor or have spotting scopes rivalingthr hubble telescope, wind calculator, barometric indicator, while only taking shots over a 1000 yards so you can brag, dress in camo like you are a Vietnam sniper soaked in deer urine or scent eliminator so you won't be detected from 10000 yards.....and wildlife starred wearing body armor. That's when....
That's why they still work for me, I have NONE of those toys. Absolutely NONE!